Router maybe damaged, wireless still works, wired doesn't
terrier3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The wired Ethernet side of my router suddenly stopped working.  Wireless is ok, TV is ok.  I looked and apparently there was a drip directly above the router! so I suspect water damage.  I've tried rebooting computers, router, ONT. 

Does anyone know how to get a replacement router from Verizon?  They seem to offer only endless sessions with an infuriating articial female voice, directing me to do diagnostics I've already tried. 

Otherwise I may just spring for some wireless cards and let go of the wired connections.

Router is Actiontec M1424WR rev D if that matters.

Re: Router maybe damaged, wireless still works, wired doesn't
PittsPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

@terrier3 wrote:

The wired Ethernet side of my router suddenly stopped working.  Wireless is ok, TV is ok.  I looked and apparently there was a drip directly above the router! so I suspect water damage.  I've tried rebooting computers, router, ONT. 

Does anyone know how to get a replacement router from Verizon?  They seem to offer only endless sessions with an infuriating articial female voice, directing me to do diagnostics I've already tried. 

Otherwise I may just spring for some wireless cards and let go of the wired connections.

Router is Actiontec M1424WR rev D if that matters.

Hey you're not alone. I came home tonight and my router is doing the same exact thing. Although we did have a power outage earlier today due to storms. Wired ports quit working. Wireless is working greta. Right now I am tethered via my EVO 3D.

I came here looking for answers. 

I just got FIOS a month ago.

Speed test Tethered via EVO3D

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1392071560.png

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1392071560.png[/IMG][/URL]

EDIT: Check your other ports

Been doing some checking.

Seems only 2 of the ports aren't working. The 2 that had been connected at the time. Comp and the TV. 1&2

I can switch the TV to the  3 or 4 port and the TV gets it internet.

BTW: I have REV. F

terrier3
Enthusiast - Level 2

PittsPgh, thanks for sharing!  Enough people and maybe we can at least form a support group!   In my case none of the ethernet ports seems to be working, I have swapped lines every which way.

PittsPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

@terrier3 wrote:

PittsPgh, thanks for sharing!  Enough people and maybe we can at least form a support group!   In my case none of the ethernet ports seems to be working, I have swapped lines every which way.

I just now did an online help chat and they are sending me a new router.

Paul

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Either a chat with Verizon directly or a call to support at 888-553-1555 will allow you to speak to a VZ rep who can send you a replacement router.

Jim

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear a new one is on the way. It's been a known fact that the ActionTec routers tend have the Wireless continue to work despite Ethernet not working. It usually means the switch died all of a sudden, or started to degrade slowly (can usually tell when setting 10Mbps Half Duplex in an NIC establishes a connection).

0 Likes
PittsPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

Glad to hear a new one is on the way. It's been a known fact that the ActionTec routers tend have the Wireless continue to work despite Ethernet not working. It usually means the switch died all of a sudden, or started to degrade slowly (can usually tell when setting 10Mbps Half Duplex in an NIC establishes a connection).

Yes but the sad news is. It seemed to have taken out the NIC on the computer. Now I have to buy a new NIC card. It won't even connect to the old router.

New router is scheduled for delivery Wed by end of day.

Tethered via EVO3D for now

Paul

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's interesting in itself. Normally when the switches die on the ActionTec it doesn't take the NIC along with it. Keep us informed as to how things go 🙂

0 Likes
terrier3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all, I was offline for a few days.  Fortunately, before the wireless died too, I had followed PittsPgh's lead and tried the live chat.   The rep was extremely helpful and I also wound up getting a replacement router.  I recommend to all that you skip the artificial lady on the phone.  Go straight to the live chat help, while you are still connected.  

One thing I noticed about the new router is that it seems to have a limit on the number of MAC addresses for the wireless MAC authentication.  You can keep adding more, but then it loses earlier ones.  The limit looks like 10.  So if you're determined to use MAC filtering, you might have to remember what all those addresses were for, and exclude some obsolete ones. 

0 Likes
PittsPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

@terrier3 wrote:

Hi all, I was offline for a few days.  Fortunately, before the wireless died too, I had followed PittsPgh's lead and tried the live chat.   The rep was extremely helpful and I also wound up getting a replacement router.  I recommend to all that you skip the artificial lady on the phone.  Go straight to the live chat help, while you are still connected.  

One thing I noticed about the new router is that it seems to have a limit on the number of MAC addresses for the wireless MAC authentication.  You can keep adding more, but then it loses earlier ones.  The limit looks like 10.  So if you're determined to use MAC filtering, you might have to remember what all those addresses were for, and exclude some obsolete ones. 

I got my new router all setup Sat afternoon after I woke up. Had some trouble getting it setup. Got into the router and tried to release/renew the lease, but that option wasn't there. After several reconnects and reboots it saw the internet. Sad thing is I wasn't able to use my old config file. Even though it's the same model, "Different Device" it complains about. So I had to reset everything up by hand again. WiFi settings, Port Forwarding for my 3 wireless  IP cams and all.

The Dynex network card I installed is working well also.

Seems Windows7-64 doesn't like the In Home Agent, it crashes.

Paul