Router password and wireless access in my house?
Mr_Detail
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi all,

My company is letting me use a laptop so I can work from home this weekend for the first time and I am trying to make sure that I can access the wireless features that come wiht my FiOS.  I have the Verizon MI424-WR router and I am not sure about the present password and how to change it.  I see that the default user name for my router is "admin" and the default password is "password".  

I also read somewhere about entering 192.168.1.1 in the address field of the web browser.  Since I have never used a laptop at home, I assume the password has never been changed.  Can anyone help me with some step by step instructions for this newbie and his wireless needs?

Thanks much!

0 Likes
Re: Router password and wireless access in my house?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@boeingdesigner wrote:

...  Can anyone help me with some step by step instructions for this newbie and his wireless needs? ... 

Start here and follow the detailed step-by-step instructions:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/Networking/Setup/QuestionsOne/123...

Report back with specific issues and questions if necessary.

0 Likes
Mr_Detail
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you kindly armond_in_nj.

I will print them out now and work on it tonight.

0 Likes
Mr_Detail
Enthusiast - Level 3

What happens if I do not have a wireless network adapter in my computer?

Do I need to buy this part?   I need to follow the coax cable that is coming in thru the 2nd floor wall when

I get home tonight I guess.  I think that cable goes directly into the router which would mean my PC is running

off "wireless" right? 

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@boeingdesigner wrote:

First Post:

My company is letting me use a laptop... trying to make sure that I can access the wireless ... have the Verizon MI424-WR router ... not sure about the present password ... the default user name for my router is "admin" and the default password is "password" ... entering 192.168.1.1 in the address field of the web browser ... assume the password has never been changed ...

Second Post:

What happens if I do not have a wireless network adapter in my computer? ... need to follow the coax cable that is coming in thru the 2nd floor wall ... think that cable goes directly into the router which would mean my PC is running

off "wireless" right?

Whoa!  Don't buy anything yet.  Let's back up a bit.

I will make a few assumptions.  (1) You have some sort of desktop unit at home that you've been using to go online, etc., and (2) that device is almost certainly connected via a wired connection to your home network, which in your case sounds like it's wired directly to the Actiontec router.

Just leave that system alone if it's working OK.  You can use it to set up the wireless network.  Also, the laptop loaner will almost certainly have a built-in wireless card which will work on your home wireless network once you get it set up (see links bellow).  Any fairly recent laptop meets this specification.

Assuming you've never changed the settings on the Actiontec, you will need the user name and pass to gain access to the wireless settings.  Just type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser address line, and then enter user and pass.  If you cannot get in, you can always reset the router to its original state and use the default user and pass (which varies according to the Actiontec model).  Here are a few links to get you going:

Reset the router:  http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Quick-Guides/Router-Reset.htm

Set up wireless network:  http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Quick-Guides/Set-Up-Wireless-Network.htm

Another possibility if you don't want to mess with all this wireless stuff is to simply connect the laptop to the router with a standard Ethernet cable.  Borrow one from work, or buy one online (Monoprice is pretty cheap with good stuff).  As I said earlier, try all this stuff and see what happens.  Then come back with specific (did I say specific?) questions and we'll go from there.  Good luck.