Router reboot required to establish wireless connection
pipetman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got this refurbished laptop lately (Samsung NP700Z7) and had/have problems getting a wireless connection.

After many troubleshooting attempts, the only thing that got it working, was rebooting my router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F). The wireless connection survived a restart of the laptop, but after a while or after putting the laptop into sleep mode, the connection would be lost again and could not be restored. Initially, I blamed this on the Intel 6235 adapter, given the many complaints on the Intel forum and similar complaints from Samsung laptop owners.

As a last resort, I just replaced the wireless card in the laptop with the Bigfoot KillerN 1202 (Aetheros chipset). But again, I have to reboot the router to be able to establish a connection and it's lost after a while or the laptop goes into sleep mode. So, the wireless adapter is not to blame.Btw: a USB wireless asdapter plugged into the laptop works fine.

Now I wonder, if something on the router side is amiss. But I don't have any problem with numerous other wireless devices on my network. The Actiontec (on the latest firmware btw) doesn't allow any tweaking of the radio settings, so what are my options? Thx.

0 Likes
Re: Router reboot required to establish wireless connection
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@pipetman2 wrote:

I got this refurbished laptop lately (Samsung NP700Z7) and had/have problems getting a wireless connection.

After many troubleshooting attempts, the only thing that got it working, was rebooting my router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F). The wireless connection survived a restart of the laptop, but after a while or after putting the laptop into sleep mode, the connection would be lost again and could not be restored. Initially, I blamed this on the Intel 6235 adapter, given the many complaints on the Intel forum and similar complaints from Samsung laptop owners.

As a last resort, I just replaced the wireless card in the laptop with the Bigfoot KillerN 1202 (Aetheros chipset). But again, I have to reboot the router to be able to establish a connection and it's lost after a while or the laptop goes into sleep mode. So, the wireless adapter is not to blame.Btw: a USB wireless asdapter plugged into the laptop works fine.

Now I wonder, if something on the router side is amiss. But I don't have any problem with numerous other wireless devices on my network. The Actiontec (on the latest firmware btw) doesn't allow any tweaking of the radio settings, so what are my options? Thx.

When you say you are not able to get a wireless connection, what do you mean exactly? The network doesn't show up, the network shows up but you can't connect to it, you can connect to the network but are unable to access the internet...?

What error message(s) are you getting?

0 Likes
pipetman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - I should have elaborated on that...

I can see the SSID (5 bars, sitting 10ft from the router), then initiate a connection (right click on SSID, click connect, enter my pw), then the staus shows briefly as connected, but without internet access and finally it would change to disconnected/no internet access (that can be repeated over and over with the same result). After rebooting the router, I get a connection immediateley.

0 Likes
eric2000000

I have had this issue for a couple weeks; DNS services stop working but Internet connectivity continues to work.  For instance my work notebook which I keep an active VPN connection to works stays connected and works fine using the corporate DNS server but the home devices gets a DNS time-out when running nslookup form a DOS prompt.  Maybe my original Actiontech has seen better days.  Current workaround is a reboot.

0 Likes