Router reports no internet connection after boot up sequence completes
pquirk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just took delivery of a FIOS G1100 router which replaces an Actiontec that is no longer supported. The G1100 goes through the boot-up sequence, displaying the following status condition: Solid red for 43 secs, solid white for 40 seconds, flashing white for 80 secs, then solid red. Naturally, any PC plugged into an ethernet port cannot get to the interent, but it can get to the administrative UI.

There are no obvious errors reported in the UI except that there is no internet connection.

My understanding is that this is a refurbished unit. I'll bet the previous customer returned it because it didn't connect. I'm back on the obsolete Actiontec.

How do I get someone to replace this faulty unit? (I have over 40 years experience in IT. Please don't ask me to run the stupid troubleshooter while I'm using that router because I cant't connect to the troubleshooter.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router reports no internet connection after boot up sequence completes
pquirk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem turns out to be that you can't just disconnect your old working router and plug in the new one. The old router needs to relinquish its IP address, and this can be achieved either by getting someone in support to reassign it to the new router, or disconnecting the old router for 1-2 hours (according to the chat online technician.)

Once the technician reassigned the IP address, the new router worked. Needless to say, the 1-page setup guide doesn't mention this, none of teh FAQs mention it, and the full user manual doesn't mention it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Router reports no internet connection after boot up sequence completes
pquirk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem turns out to be that you can't just disconnect your old working router and plug in the new one. The old router needs to relinquish its IP address, and this can be achieved either by getting someone in support to reassign it to the new router, or disconnecting the old router for 1-2 hours (according to the chat online technician.)

Once the technician reassigned the IP address, the new router worked. Needless to say, the 1-page setup guide doesn't mention this, none of teh FAQs mention it, and the full user manual doesn't mention it.

0 Likes