Router to Router
greencat1

Hi I am new to FIOS internet.

I had this router installed - MI424WR. I didn't need it since I was happy with my Asus N66u dual band. I didn't want the hassle of resetting the wireless devices such as the my security cameras so I connected the Verizon router to the WAN port of the Asus.

Everything seems to work. I have the security cameras port forward so I can view when away. Now that I have 2 routers I suspect that I need to port forward through the verizon router.

Is that correct?

How do I do that? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Router to Router
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

First since you have double NATed  your routers.   Be sure that they are each in their own subnet with each router having a non over lapping DHCP range.  

As for port forwarding it is a two step process if plug and play isn't or won't work.

First you need to forward the ports needed for your cameras on your Actiontec to the static IP that you have assigned your ASUS.   Then on your ASUS forward the ports  to the static IPs assigned on the ASUS to your cameras.

As an alternative you can avoid the double port forwarding by attaching the cameras directly to the Actiontec.

If you are using a DynDNS or equivalent  to you can reach your cameras it may not work correctly with the Actiontec.  The last firmware seems to have  broken the automatic update function.   Fortunately Verizon doesn't seem to change my public IP very frequently so I can reach my FTP server.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I'm not a big fan of double port forwarding, I would probably tell you to put your ASUS in the DMZ of the Actiontec, and then simply forward your ports with your ASUS.

Double port forwarding has been known to lead to a lot of problems

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@greencat wrote:

Hi I am new to FIOS internet.

I had this router installed - MI424WR. I didn't need it since I was happy with my Asus N66u dual band. I didn't want the hassle of resetting the wireless devices such as the my security cameras so I connected the Verizon router to the WAN port of the Asus.

Everything seems to work. I have the security cameras port forward so I can view when away. Now that I have 2 routers I suspect that I need to port forward through the verizon router.

Is that correct?

How do I do that? 

Thanks

I assume by this " so I connected the Verizon router to the WAN port of the Asus." that you really meant that you connected the wan port of the vz router to a lan port of the asus??

You could just leave the setup the way it is and pf the verizon service ports from the asus to the vz router

0 Likes
greencat1
Not sure if I understand your question. Current setup is Verizon fiber box to the wan port of the Verizon router then I run ethernet cable from the lan port to the wan port of my asus router. I have this setup because I wanted to keep using my asus.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@greencat wrote:
Not sure if I understand your question. Current setup is Verizon fiber box to the wan port of the Verizon router then I run ethernet cable from the lan port to the wan port of my asus router. I have this setup because I wanted to keep using my asus.

From the way you worded the original statement I figured you wired it the other way round - with your asus as the primary and the vz as the secondary.  Doesn't matter it will work either way round.  

Only big difference is how much of your internal network you expose to the outside as youu'd typically need to sets of port forwarding rules  if the vz router is the primary.

0 Likes