Router updates erasing settings
jackncoke72
Enthusiast - Level 2
Twice in the past five days my ActionTec router has completely reset itself, I think because an upgrade was pushed out. Both times all my custom router settings were erased. Every time this happens I lose remote access since my port forwarding scheme is gone. Up until now my router has been very dependable for years., and I've come to rely on being able to access my home network from anywhere. I have very tight security associated with my remote access scheme so there should be no concerns with unauthorized access. I'm writing to ask why all of a sudden are these upgrades being performed, why the settings have to be erased, how much longer before these updates (or whatever they are) are completed, and is there any way to keep the custom settings from being deleted.
Re: Router updates erasing settings
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jackncoke72 wrote:
, and is there any way to keep the custom settings from being deleted.

Logon to the router

select advanced

select configuration file

Select save configuration file

select a destination on your machine

Next time they erase everything

select advanced

select load configuration file

navigate to where you saved the last one.

Do the save every time you modify a router setting.

jackncoke72
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thank you, I am aware of the configuration file function, but for instance today I have no remote access because an update occurred while I was away, and I would still have to go home to re-load the configuration file. In the meantime I have no remote access. Fixing this last night only required five minutes, but it had to be done from home. I'm looking to understand what the updates are all about and how often to expect them, and/or a way to get back up and running remotely without resorting to enabling remote administration of the router which would be a security hole.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked the firmware version on the router to detrmine if it is actually changing.

I suspect more likely that your router is faulty and just resetting.  If VZ were in fact sending out as many updates that you are claiming then there would be many, many more people complaining here. 

I've had a fios installation for 18 month and in that time have never received a firmware update that I know off, certainly nothing that hase reset my router to factory defaults.  But there again I'm using a Westell router.

Justin46
Legend

I think Verizon is in the process of rolling out a new version of the software for the router. I now have version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4 in my Actiontec, which I think is the latest. My router appears to have rebooted last Friday morning, 5/13, around 4 am, presumably for the new software. I was out of town at the time, but I have seen no interruption of service since then, and all of my settings were preserved - login name and password, SSID, WPA2 encryption, etc. 

I think if the router is rebooting multiple times it probably needs to be replaced, especially since the settings have been reset, that is not normal.

Keller, TX 76248

hracer
Contributor - Level 2
 jackncoke72 The router would not act like this when getting any updates from Verizon. If you are loosing your settings, then you may want to reset the router manually. If this fails, then download the latest firmware ver. here and manually update the firmware again. If these both do not work, then you have a faulty prom chip that is not holding it's information. You will need to get a replacement unit. Advise Verizon tech support that you have done the above steps and it is not working still. They should be able to drop ship you a replacement unit.
jackncoke72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you all for the suggestions. It turns out yesterday's problem was that the router was assigned a new IP address but it didn't update DynDNS; I had to manually click the "update now" button (or similar). So that's a different problem. I'm going to monitor the situation and if the DynDNS updating doesn't fix itself I'll have to check in with tech support. Perhaps the new (as of Friday) firmware still has a lingering issue with the dynamic DNS updating.