Routers that work with FIOS Internet (Quantum Speeds) 75 & Higher
TheMalks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

All -

I have a few routers and want to know if one of them (a Linksys EA9200 AC3200) would work with my 75/75 plan? I am currently renting Verizon's Quantum Gateway G1100. I couldn't find anything (my Google-Fu is weak) that says the Linksys is MoCA 2.0 capable, and I assume I need a MoCA 2.0 capable router for my service. Also, are there any other good routers out there for under $200 that will work? Thanks ahead!

-David

0 Likes
Re: Routers that work with FIOS Internet (Quantum Speeds) 75 & Higher
septimontium
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello and great question!
Short answer: Contact the router manufacture, only they know for sure based on the model.

I checked the model out, sweet ride, however I did not see a MoCA input/output to begin with, its the Coaxil screw-in like input/output so I would assume based on this that no, this model of router does not support MoCA, Verizon does have MoCA to Ethernet adapters called "NIMs" but I don't know if they sell them stand-alone. None the less please consider the following information:

Do you also have TV service with Verizon? (wetter its Quantum TV or not) if so its best if you stay with the Verizon provided Router since the TV Boxes (known as STBs) can only work perfectly by default with the Verizon router that is pre-programmed with a specific pool of IPs assigned to the them. If a 3rd party Router is used there is a big chance your internet based features will not work on your TV Box, you won't loos channel signal , but Video On Demand and other features might stop working simply because the box is not getting an IP Address. If the Verizon Router is Not bypassed and the 3rd party Router is "bridged" via Ethernet this might now affect your TV features.-

If you only have internet with Verizon please note that Verizon does not support 3rd party Routers and whenever having an issue or installing the router you will need to contact the Router's manufacture first and in some cases conference with a Verizon representative making tech support a bit more complicated if any. The most popular solution is to bridge the Verizon router via Ethernet to the 3rd party router to have the latter take care of the Wi-Fi necessities.
-Best regards and good luck!

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TheMalks wrote:

All -

I have a few routers and want to know if one of them (a Linksys EA9200 AC3200) would work with my 75/75 plan? I am currently renting Verizon's Quantum Gateway G1100. I couldn't find anything (my Google-Fu is weak) that says the Linksys is MoCA 2.0 capable, and I assume I need a MoCA 2.0 capable router for my service. Also, are there any other good routers out there for under $200 that will work? Thanks ahead!

-David

Any router will work with your 75/75 connection as long as your ONT is provisioned for ethernet instead of coax connectivity.  Your linksys router has no coax capability so moca support is a moot point.  Moca (IP over coax) is only necessary for the verizon router to communicate with the STBs.  If you don't have TV service you don't need the verizon router at all.  If you do have tv service then the verizon router has to be in your network somewhere and connected to the coax network and your ethernet network, either in bridged or cascaded mode.

TheMalks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

Any router will work with your 75/75 connection as long as your ONT is provisioned for ethernet instead of coax connectivity.  Your linksys router has no coax capability so moca support is a moot point.  Moca (IP over coax) is only necessary for the verizon router to communicate with the STBs.  If you don't have TV service you don't need the verizon router at all.  If you do have tv service then the verizon router has to be in your network somewhere and connected to the coax network and your ethernet network, either in bridged or cascaded mode.

I have an Internet only 75/75 plan (no TV/phone). My home is wired for coax (I don't have ethernet WAN ports on my walls - I wish I did though). My ONT may support either or both (ethernet/coax) but since I only have coax connectors around my home I guess I'm stuck with finding a router that works with that setup (or paying for Verizon to install an ethernet port on my wall near my computer). Thanks for the help and clarification.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't have to pay verizon.

You can find an electrician or handyman that may do it cheaper.

0 Likes