Re: Routing / Latency issues
Hubrisnxs
Legend

honestly, i think when we see 'tinet-gw.customer'  that infers that they themselves are a customer of mci business or verizon business and bought that connection.  that means they probably bought X amount of bandwidth and are getting hammered.  they likely need to upgrade that connection to something beefier.  I used to work in a NOC and we saw that all the time.  If a customer of ours was being saturated with bandwidth, the best we could do was call them, notify them and ask if they wanted to buy more bandwidth.  If it's nearing 100% useage, there is only a few ways to go, get more bandwidth, employ better load balancing among their routers, or live with it.  

So double check with them if that;s their ckt they are leasing, if it is see if they can tell if it;s being saturated.  If they are leasing it, then they are verizon's customer on that connection, and they will have to get that info.   for anti competitive reasons I couldn't share that kind of intimate detail with anyone but the customer.  

There was another user here named smith, that shared that the GW-customer, meant that it was a leased line from Verizon.  

photonslowgame
Enthusiast - Level 2

thats for sharing that info!

0 Likes
gkgough

I am having the same issue, with the same stop in the Trace..see below.

I was wise enough to pay the extra five dollars a month in order to avoid signing a two year contract, so if verizon cant figure out how to resolve this seeming simple issue that is exclusive to Fios, then I will just switch to a competing service.  

Are there Fios Reps. contributing/monitoring these threads?  If so, i would expect a prompt response.

4 39 ms 18 ms 18 ms xe-2-1-3-0.NY325-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81
.209.10]
5 * 51 ms 49 ms 0.so-4-0-1.XT2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.10.29]
6 21 ms 67 ms 74 ms TenGigE0-5-0-0.GW8.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.21.65]

7 123 ms 127 ms 121 ms tinet-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.72.122]

0 Likes
treykaws

"01-23-2013 01:00 PM - edited 01-23-2013 01:08 PM

I just wanted to bump this with my own new latency issue.
In the NJ area, on FiOS and have had a recent jump.

My specific test case is a game called Mechwarrior Online. The game servers are located in eastern Canada.

Average ping for the past 6 months has been steady between 40-60ms.

Now average ping is consistenly 120-130. This is within the week around Christmas as many other reported.

This was tested with two machines inside the home one via WiFi one via CAT6. 

Happy to conduct and post tracert's but It seems that further verifying the issue is not whats needed at this point.

if anyone wants me run one to a specific server as another datapoint let me know.

Thanks, and happy to be of assistance to this cause."

I'm from NJ (South Jersey) and I have the exact same problemas GYOCHUM. By chance did you figure out what is causing this? I'm assuming it's 100% on Verizon's end.

How would I go about running a tracert so I can help provide some sort of statistic as well?

0 Likes
gkgough

if you can find the name of the server your game is hosted on, open command prompt and type "tracert 'server name'"

0 Likes
treykaws

Right now, 2:30am EST, pings are normal and as they should be. But throughout the day and evening they increase to about 35-45% higher than what they should be. It only recently (a month ago) started doing this.

What do you mean find the name of the server my game is hosted on?

0 Likes
photonslowgame
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish it was only 50% higher than it should be. 200% during primetime for many of us.

0 Likes
treykaws

A majority of the time it's 50% but it also spikes to 150% higher as well at times.

Somethings wrong and I'm hoping this can get sorted soon.

0 Likes
xfactor
Enthusiast - Level 3

FYI - other forums have a similiar issue, a senior member states 

tinet-gw.customer

Thats a peering point, its not Verizon's issue but the games ISP isn't paying for the bandwidth there customers are trying to consume

tinet comes up allot on people complaining about bad pings, if your paying for that game service, complain, its their issue, not Verizons

0 Likes
treykaws

Seems to be the same issue im having, xfactor. Good find.

0 Likes