Routing traffic between WAN-connected Actiontec MI424WR and LAN behind a Netgear R6200v2
revprez

Objective:

I would like to setup bidirectional communication between devices on my WAN facing network, routed by a Verizon Fios provided Actiontec MI424WR, and an existing LAN gated by a Netgear R6200v2.  

I have not configured the R6200v2 except to have it statically take its address (10.0.20.202) on the WAN port.

I attempted the solution here, but have had zero success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Current network state:

Routers

Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1

1. WAN IP: <ISP provided> (connected via coaxial cable to ONT)
  2. LAN IP: 10.0.20.1
  3. DHCP range: 10.0.20.2 - 10.0.20.99

Netgear R6200v2

1. WAN IP: 10.0.20.202 (directly connected to MI424WR)
  2. LAN IP: 10.0.40.1

Primary Router (MI424WR) Configuration

Static Routing

1. Destination network: 10.0.40.0
  2. Netmask: 255.255.255.0
  3. Gateway IP: 10.0.20.202
  4. Metric: 1

Network Objects

1. blackthing_fios_subnet: (IP Subnet: 10.0.20.0)
  2. blackthing_ac_subnet: (IP Subnet: 10.0.40.0)

Advanced Filtering

1. Input Rule Set ( blackthing_fios_subnet -> blackthing_ac_subnet, Accept Package/No Connection, Active)
  2. Output Rule Set ( blackthing_fios_subnet -> blackthing_ac_subnet, Accept Package/No Connection, Active)

0 Likes
Re: Routing traffic between WAN-connected Actiontec MI424WR and LAN behind a Netgear R6200v2
revprez

By the way, I'm approaching the problem this way for two reasons:

1. I'd like to continue using the LAN ports on the MI424WR.

2. It's my understanding that delegating routing to the R6200v2 is either extremely difficult or impossible.  Something about the ONT not recognizing anything but the Verizon provided router.

3. Honestly, I've been banging my head against this current approach so long I haven't even dug into bridging.

I would like to avoid delegating all routing to the MI424WR as it has a small NAT table.

If anyone has a better approach than what I'm trying to accomplish above, I'd appreciate it.

0 Likes
Re: Routing traffic between WAN-connected Actiontec MI424WR and LAN behind a Netgear R6200v2
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you trying to accomplish with the two routers?

Do you have TV service? If not, you can get your ONT provisioned for Ethernet service and use your existing router.

I'm not sure what you mean by router having a small nat table.
Routers that access Internet with a proviate lan behind use PAT instead of NAT.

I have had upwards of a dozen devices all accessing the Internet with no issues.

0 Likes
revprez

In order:

1. Ideally, I would like to use the MI424WR to manage a perimeter network, the R6200v2 to manage a work network, and another router (not in the picture right now) for casual use and guests.  
  2. No, I don't have TV service.  Reprovisioning the ONT may be an road I'll take, but I'd prefer this arrangement if I can swing it.
  3. I have a first generation MI424WR, and I've observed a number of dropped connections due to pool contention.
  4. Brought up the NAT table issue because I'd previously configured downstream routers as bridges to the MI424WR, which caused problems related to 3.
  5. I've no problem with WAN connection from any subnet.  My issue is with getting devices on the MI424WR network to talk to devices behind the R6200v2.  I can communicate from the Netgear switched LAN netowkr, but I cannot resolve anything the other way around.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@revprez wrote:

Objective:

I would like to setup bidirectional communication between devices on my WAN facing network, routed by a Verizon Fios provided Actiontec MI424WR, and an existing LAN gated by a Netgear R6200v2.  

I have not configured the R6200v2 except to have it statically take its address (10.0.20.202) on the WAN port.

I attempted the solution here, but have had zero success.

I don't believe static routing works on the Verizon Actiontec routers - I also tried it and never had any success..

In the end I changed to ethernet at the ont and put my own router there and had the Actiontec just control the STBs.  That actually made little difference as I've never managed to get static routing to work on any of my shoho routers except Linksys ones that I no longer have.  As I cascade the routers the lower level devices can reach the upper level subnets but not vice versa.

0 Likes