SLOW LOGON TO VERIZON
Nancy991

I've done everything I know to do to speed up my system. Everything does pretty well until I click to connect to the Internet. I just shut down the PC, got back on and connected to EMail pretty quick; however when I then clicked on Internet (I didn't time it) it must have take at least SIX MINUTES

Why in the world would it take that long to connect to Verizon??

What can I do to fix it?  I wanted a chat tonight and the time waiting got into the 50 minute range so I quit.

0 Likes
Re: SLOW LOGON TO VERIZON
Justin46
Legend

At this point I don't have any answers, but I do have some questions:

1) You said email connected pretty quickly (what email client, and can you give an estimate of how quickly email connected?). That of course uses an internet connection, so if that is working reasonably well then the problem is NOT getting to the internet.

2) I guess what you really mean is you started your browser to visit some website(s), and that took a very long time. Right?

3) Assuming #2 is correct, what browser are you using? Internet Explorer, Firefox, what.... And does it happen on all websites, or just some? Or once you get to one website all works ok on all websites after that?

4) In most browsers, there is an option, usually under View, to show the Status Bar at the bottom of the window. Do you have that turned on? If not it might help if you would do so, because the browser will typically give us an idea there what it is doing (waiting for DNS, waiting for website, receiving data, etc). And once you do have the Status Bar visible, during this long wait, what if anything is it showing?

5) Is this a new problem or something that has existed for a while (this question relates to possibly some changes you might have made on your PC or Verizon might have made in North Texas, which of course is where I am and I am not experiencing any issues).

6) Is this a new PC or one you have had for a while? How much memory and what version of Windows (I am assuming it is a Windows system, could be a Mac?)?

With no other information than you have provlded, there is really no way to give you an answer now. But if I had to guess right now I would guess it is a DNS issue.

Anyway, if you can provide the info, hopefully someone here can help.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

It's been an observation of mine that the login specifically to the Verizon site takes a very long time.  Not experienced this on other websites.  Forum takes very long to load in particular.  Not sure if this is what the poster intended to express, but it seems to be an ongoing issue.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CapnCrunch wrote:

I agree with the original poster.  I was about to come on here and say the exact same thing.  It's been an observation of mine that the login specifically to the Verizon site takes a very long time.  Not experienced this on other websites.  Forum takes very long to load in particular.

I will ask you then the same questions I asked the OP. Also, since you are saying specifically that the Verizon Forums are slow, are your referring to just the login phase or all the time? Two things that I dislike very much about the design of the Verizon websites (all of them) are:

1) If you have the Status Bar active, you can see continual "receiving ....." messages. Verizon's web pages come down in lots (and lots and lots) of little pieces, mostly separate little images. This causes you to wait as your PC and the server interact back and forth, seemingly incessantly at times.

2) They track your activity. I have found that there are a few items on their web pages that I have blocked (using the Adblock Plus add-on in Firefox) that dramatically improved the response of Verizon websites for me, it rarely takes more than two or three seconds to get the entire page down (now logon to My Verizon certainly takes a lot longer, but that apparently has to go to some other very busy servers to get the account information, logon there usually takes 15-20 seconds I think).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
dorisladd

I have recently been experiencing very slow, (sometimes none at all) internet connection. Email seems to be o.k., but am slightly annoyed with internet.  Imagine it could be due to time of day, but can't really plan my day around times I use the net.

Anyone out there experiencing the same thing??

0 Likes