SLOWS DOWN STREAMING: "Parental Rules" to block specific websites on Fios Quantum Gateway Router
KruseLudington
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've noticed that I have considerable struggle streaming - even with a hard wired ethernet connection (it gets very sluggish and keeps disconnecting etc.) - when I enable parental rules stopping devices (including the device from which I am streaming) from a bunch of specified shopping websites (about 20 URL's). If I turn off the rule, or just remove the device I am currently using from the rule - the problem goes away and my connections are much faster.

This is definately an issue with the speed of the Quantum Fios router, and may or may not be something that can be fixed with a router firmware update. Verizon - when can this be rectified?

0 Likes
Re: SLOWS DOWN STREAMING: "Parental Rules" to block specific websites on Fios Quantum Gate
jonjones1
Legend

@KruseLudington wrote:

I've noticed that I have considerable struggle streaming - even with a hard wired ethernet connection (it gets very sluggish and keeps disconnecting etc.) - when I enable parental rules stopping devices (including the device from which I am streaming) from a bunch of specified shopping websites (about 20 URL's). If I turn off the rule, or just remove the device I am currently using from the rule - the problem goes away and my connections are much faster.

This is definately an issue with the speed of the Quantum Fios router, and may or may not be something that can be fixed with a router firmware update. Verizon - when can this be rectified?

The principal of using parental controls is to "curb or totally stop" your children from going to certain websites or portals. The issue is somewhat complex as first the router must now search out and disallow those sites from being reached either at a certain time or permanently which places stress on the dns lookups to those sites.

verizon cannot be blamed for user initiated actions. You found out yourself that the speed returns after parental controls are set to off. You pay Fios for the speed that is provisioned to your home. You do not have any issue with what you yourself do to stop the children from going to blacklisted sites.

i would suggest you read the manual for your router under parental controls and see just what can be done and cannot be done. 

There are software companies out there that can do what you desire and will not interfere with your speeds, there are also other makers of routers that can do what you desire but if the situation is the same it then shows the router as culprit.

verizon Fios is responsible for a connection to the internet, they are not responsible for how you place settings on the router. Or for slow downs on the internet its self.

Good Luck

Re: SLOWS DOWN STREAMING: "Parental Rules" to block specific websites on Fios Quantum Gate
KruseLudington
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Jonjones, however:

I understand how the parental controls work with the router - but it should not affect streaming to a site that is not blocked. It is the Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router. Since the router is from Verizon, it should allow me to make any adjustments to parental rules without degrading the service.

I will go and clarify a little further. I should have added this comment to my original post as well. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or longer for a static web site to load - just one request to a simple web site that is not blocked - but then when I turn off the parental controls the delay goes away altogether. The degradation in speed should not be that bad...!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@KruseLudington wrote:

Thank you Jonjones, however:

I understand how the parental controls work with the router - but it should not affect streaming to a site that is not blocked. It is the Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router. Since the router is from Verizon, it should allow me to make any adjustments to parental rules without degrading the service.

I will go and clarify a little further. I should have added this comment to my original post as well. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or longer for a static web site to load - just one request to a simple web site that is not blocked - but then when I turn off the parental controls the delay goes away altogether. The degradation in speed should not be that bad...!

Slow reaching to web sites is common in all internet connections. However when you add in software generated interfaces that stop or curb the visit to sites delays will be longer. Again as you said the situation does not happen when you turn the controls off.

my next step would be to either trace the route to see if and where it Times out.

you may also do a ping to the sites in question and see the results etc.

if you believe the router is the culprit I would call 1-800-VERIZON and have them send you another or have them reset your ONT and router and see if that helps.

if not have them send a repair man.

that is about all you can do.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Long story short - Turning on Parental Controls on the router causes all traffic to route through the CPU, bypassing any hardware acceleration which may be enabled. When dealing with inexpensive routers (in the grand scheme of things, since I work with routers within the range of $800 to $137,000,000 USD), when mixed in with a Fiber or even a higher speed Cable connection, hardware acceleration is essential, since there isn't enough CPU power under the hood. The routers use passively cooled ARM CPUs, or MIPS if an older generation ActionTec MI424WR. These CPUs are fast enough to handle some tasks, but when you make them perform deep packet inspection on every little thing and perform continuous rule lookups, they get bogged down. To filter a Fiber connection at a router level without trashing performance, you need something more than some $200> consumer router.

Leaving the router to not do inspection on every packet is the best solution to this problem. Use Parental Controls on the endpoint device or perhaps use a DNS-based solution to filter out the sites you wish to block. Perhaps OpenDNS can assist with this if you just need Domain blocking.

Now, non-filtered sites being slown down if you're only doing URL blocking could simply be an implementation issue of the firmware. But again, the router must look at everything to figure out if a rule exists for a specific type of traffic. It must do this at what we call Layer 7 (Application) and Layer 3 (TCP/IP). To do this, it must turn off all hardware acceleration and perform all routing in software. Routing is a Layer 3 function. Routers doing Layer 7 applications are stepping out of bounds, and must perform all functions in software.