SMTP Settings when NOT On Verizon FIOS
Docx

I've had an ongoing issue with the SMTP settings in Microsoft Outlook.  When I'm ON FIOS I have to check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".  When I take my laptop to work or somewhere NOT on FIOS I have to uncheck that setting.  Is there an alternate to outgoing.verizon.net that I can use the same bloody settings on no matter where I'm at?!??!!  Thanks!

Doc

0 Likes
Re: SMTP Settings when NOT On Verizon FIOS
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry, not an answer but a question.

When you uncheck the authentication setting does it actually allow you to send mail using the VZ smtp server??

I can see how you could receive mail at a different location but cannot see how you can send mail without changing your outbound server.

0 Likes
docxhome

Well the scenario is at home I'm on FIOS/verizon.net and at work or on the road I'm not.  Seems the only thing I have to change is the authentication setting but I travel alot and there has to be a way to do this without changing the settings every darn time - I can't be the only mobile user with a verizon.net primary email address.

I can always receive but I cannot send until I change the settings when I'm on the road.

I guess the other question is - is there anyway to one-click this via say a registry file?  That setting has to be stored in the registry somewhere. 

When I was on Comcast I didn't have this issue - their SMTP worked no matter where I was.

Doc

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I have never had to change my SMTP settings when leaving the Verizon Network. Server Requires Authentication should always have to be checked. I can send via a client on any connection with my settings this way.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@somegirl wrote:

I have never had to change my SMTP settings when leaving the Verizon Network. Server Requires Authentication should always have to be checked. I can send via a client on any connection with my settings this way.

I have no answer either, but I agree with somegirl, I have never had to change any settings when I am off the Verizon network. I have a weekend house in AT&T DSL territory, plus free wi-fi access via a local cable ISP, and my normal settings with authentication turned on work fine on them for sending and receiving emails.Never any email issues other than I had to get AT&T to allow me to use a non-AT&T outgoing email server while using their network. And when I have used wi-fi access in hotels it has always worked just fine too.

To the original poster:

Probably not at all related, but what port do you have defined for the outgoing server? I used to have port 25 but changed that to 587 some months ago as Verizon supposedly has begun the process of changing from port 25 to 587 in an effort to reduce spam generated on the Verizon network.

This is certainly a mystery to me. I hope you will let us know what the resolution is once you find it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Exactly, that's why I cannot understand how it even allows him to send once he removes the authentication.

However I would have thought that using outgoing.verizon.net as an smtp server when not connected to the verizon network will result ocasionally in mail being rejected at the destination for relaying or possible spamming.  I have always resorted to web mail when off the home network.

0 Likes