SSH fail on WAN - going on third day
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been working on this for about three days now. Have been able to establish 110% that this is not an OS issue or something to do with any of my PCs.

It's either router related or ISP related.

On no less than four different Ubuntu computers, I have been able to use SSH internally on my LAN with *zero  issues*. Yet when I tried to SSH over the WAN from Quest, Comcast and Verizon, all time out in all cases when trying to reach port 22.

Out of frustration, I tried port 23. Again, opening the right ports on the Actiontec router that Verizon gave me. This time, I had more take place...again making me think something is wrong at the ISP level.

This time, it tried to connect and refused. I proved this to again, not be computer related by disabling the port forward on the router only to find I got the same error.

It's the router or the ISP, there is no question about it. And my gut, is leaning with the router. Port scans show 22 as inaccessiable or just stealth, depending which web service I am using.

No matter how many times I open port 22, it's clearly not open. This is really getting old, please help.

----------

As Verizon does block port 22, then I need to know what it takes to get them out here to disappear this **bleep** Actiontec router and connect me with CAT5 to my own router. Because, this is unacceptable. And it is not anything I have control over, it seems.

Message Edited by ctsdownloads on 06-18-2009 05:29 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SSH fail on WAN - going on third day
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow, I am a **bleep** - total nebie mistake that and I even know better, too.

TCP Any -> 23

it was set to

TCP 23 -> 23

Duhhhhh Heh.

It's working now. Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@ctsdownloads wrote:

I have been working on this for about three days now. Have been able to establish 110% that this is not an OS issue or something to do with any of my PCs.

It's either router related or ISP related.

On no less than four different Ubuntu computers, I have been able to use SSH internally on my LAN with *zero  issues*. Yet when I tried to SSH over the WAN from Quest, Comcast and Verizon, all time out in all cases when trying to reach port 22.

Out of frustration, I tried port 23. Again, opening the right ports on the Actiontec router that Verizon gave me. This time, I had more take place...again making me think something is wrong at the ISP level.

This time, it tried to connect and refused. I proved this to again, not be computer related by disabling the port forward on the router only to find I got the same error.

It's the router or the ISP, there is no question about it. And my gut, is leaning with the router. Port scans show 22 as inaccessiable or just stealth, depending which web service I am using.

No matter how many times I open port 22, it's clearly not open. This is really getting old, please help.

----------

As Verizon does block port 22, then I need to know what it takes to get them out here to disappear this **bleep** Actiontec router and connect me with CAT5 to my own router. Because, this is unacceptable. And it is not anything I have control over, it seems.

Message Edited by ctsdownloads on 06-18-2009 05:29 PM

There have been reports of a port range being opened on the router to forward trafic to Set Top Boxes for features such as remote DVR. If the port is in a range that is forwarded it can not be forwarded again. Look at the default port forwarding in the router and see if the are any. Such as the following. I have not tested the theory though. "ANY" is a big number.

Active   localhost localhost     Verizon FiOS Service – TCP Any -> 4567 All Broadband Devices

Active   192.168.1.100 192.168.1.100:8082   Verizon FiOS Service Application - TCP Any -> 35000 WAN PPPoE

Active   192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101:8082   Verizon FiOS Service Application - TCP Any -> 35001 WAN PPPoE

Active   192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102:8082   Verizon FiOS Service Application - TCP Any -> 35002 WAN PPPoE 

0 Likes
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure what you mean? Am I looking for additional instances of port 22-23? Or am I looking for something else?The only Verizon FiOS entry I have seen is for localhost at TCP Any -> 4567. Again, can you clarify what I am looking for?

Thanks

Message Edited by ctsdownloads on 06-18-2009 05:53 PM
0 Likes
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ugh, for Pete's sake, look, clearly the router must be the culprit. I have been port forwarding for days now and using a variety of other ports, most of which just time out. Can't I just use my own and then use the Actiontec in bridge mode?
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@ctsdownloads wrote:

Not sure what you mean? Am I looking for additional instances of port 22-23? Or am I looking for something else?The only Verizon FiOS entry I have seen is for localhost at TCP Any -> 4567. Again, can you clarify what I am looking for?

Thanks

Message Edited by ctsdownloads on 06-18-2009 05:53 PM

Any port to port 4567 is the entry I was talking about. On my old router I had this disabled and port forwarding for remote desktop worked fine. I have not tried it on this newer Actiontec. I would need to place a switch on my ONT WAN with two routers and get two IP to test it. I am not set up for that right now. With PPPOE I have been able to get more then one public IP though my ONT for testing, but is against the terms of service. There havebeen some other postings regarding pot forwarding issueswith the Westell 9100 router, but it may not be relevent.

0 Likes
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like the entry you are speaking of it uneditable. There is no means of removing it from what I am seeing.

Also, ports above 4567 such as 5631, are being refused even when I open them up on the router...I am just about out of ideas with this Verizon provided router. Really **bleep** poor performer, in my opinion.

-----------

I am pretty much done with the Actiontec, is it possible to just use my Draytek with the Actiontec in a bridge mode? Tried this one before, but I found that Verizon kept knocking it offline.

Seems like ditching the Actiontec is the ONLY solution. I need my SSH access, but I am locked into coax right now from the ONT.

0 Likes
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow, I am a **bleep** - total nebie mistake that and I even know better, too.

TCP Any -> 23

it was set to

TCP 23 -> 23

Duhhhhh Heh.

It's working now. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ctsdownloads wrote:
Ugh, for Pete's sake, look, clearly the router must be the culprit. I have been port forwarding for days now and using a variety of other ports, most of which just time out. Can't I just use my own and then use the Actiontec in bridge mode?

Sure, see as need be..

#1 http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

#2 URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Title/Location: All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Good luck.

PS. I do not have FIOS or any Actiontec. 😞
0 Likes
ctsdownloads
Enthusiast - Level 2

Appreciate the response, as you can see from the post above yours, this has been resolved.

thanks

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok, I see what you mean. Opps, sorry..

Please mark your own post as the "accepted solution"
0 Likes