03-24-2020 10:48 AM
I'm getting this error when I try to download my state program in the H & R Block tax software:
"System message: SSL Error: bad server certificate of incorrect PC date"
I've done every thing that their tech support has said to do:
1) Check that date and time are correct (it was).
2) Temporarily shut off all firewalls and security software (I did)
3) Check the proxy on the Tools menu (it was already set to No Proxy)
4) Reinstall the software (no change)
5) Reboot with minimum number of programs started (still no change).
They now tell me "the problem is with your ISP".
Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a port that Verizon has to unblock for me? I posted here because I was in Chat and it said Technical Support for other than cookie cutter problems is not available until Thursday.
Solved! Go to Solution.
03-24-2020 11:26 AM
Verizon doesn't block ports. This isn't an ISP problem.
It looks like H&R's SSL certificate has a bad date. I'm assuming they use a CDN (content distribution network) to manage downloads. The certificate issue could be limited to just one node on the CDN, which means it may only impact a small number of users.
Try waiting a while to see if their network team figures it out and fixes it, or maybe you get a different CDN node. If you've another computer available, try it there.
04-23-2020 08:46 PM
Fix your Verizon - H&R Block SSL error problem
1. Open your MyFios App on your cell phone.
2. Scroll down and select "Internet"
3. When the page opens, scroll down and select "Home Network Protection"
4. On the Home Network Protection page, scroll down to the Status setting (The default setting for status is "ON". Change the Status to "OFF"
5. Close the MyFios App
6. Go back to your H&R Block tax program.
You should now be able to download your state return program or e-file your return(s) without getting the SSL error message.
Once your finished with H&R Block, go back to your MyFios App and reset your "Home Protection Status" back to the "Yes" default setting.