SSL Error with H & R Block Tax software -- Port being blocked?
Grybo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm getting this error when I try to download my state program in the H & R Block tax software:
"System message: SSL Error: bad server certificate of incorrect PC date"

I've done every thing that their tech support has said to do:

1) Check that date and time are correct (it was).

2) Temporarily shut off all firewalls and security software (I did)

3) Check the proxy on the Tools menu (it was already set to No Proxy)

4) Reinstall the software (no change)

5) Reboot with minimum number of programs started (still no change).

They now tell me "the problem is with your ISP".  

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is there a port that Verizon has to unblock for me?  I posted here because I was in Chat and it said Technical Support for other than cookie cutter problems is not available until Thursday.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SSL Error with H & R Block Tax software -- Port being blocked?
Chasf01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fix your Verizon - H&R Block SSL error problem

1.  Open your MyFios App on your cell phone.

2. Scroll down and select "Internet" 

3. When the page opens, scroll down and select "Home Network Protection"

4. On the Home Network Protection page, scroll down to the Status setting (The default setting for status is "ON".  Change the Status to "OFF" 

5. Close the MyFios App

6. Go back to your H&R Block tax program. 

You should now be able to download your state return program or e-file your return(s) without getting the SSL error message.

Once your finished with H&R Block, go back to your MyFios App and reset your "Home Protection Status"  back to the "Yes" default setting. 

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't block ports.  This isn't an ISP problem.

It looks like H&R's SSL certificate has a bad date.  I'm assuming they use a CDN (content distribution network) to manage downloads.  The certificate issue could be limited to just one node on the CDN, which means it may only impact a small number of users.

Try waiting a while to see if their network team figures it out and fixes it, or maybe you get a different CDN node.  If you've another computer available, try it there.

Good Luck.

Chasf01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fix your Verizon - H&R Block SSL error problem

1.  Open your MyFios App on your cell phone.

2. Scroll down and select "Internet" 

3. When the page opens, scroll down and select "Home Network Protection"

4. On the Home Network Protection page, scroll down to the Status setting (The default setting for status is "ON".  Change the Status to "OFF" 

5. Close the MyFios App

6. Go back to your H&R Block tax program. 

You should now be able to download your state return program or e-file your return(s) without getting the SSL error message.

Once your finished with H&R Block, go back to your MyFios App and reset your "Home Protection Status"  back to the "Yes" default setting. 

BeArmy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This worked perfectly!  Thank you.  

FairfaxKid

I have had this problem since I switched from Cox to Verizon. Date and time on the computer are correct. Verizon home network protection has never been activated, and I turned off security software. My only guess is that Verizon does not like the SSL certificate that Block uses.

This problem seems to be specific to Block and Verizon and I am tired of the finger-pointing. The two companies should be able to find a solution.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes