SSL settings on the Advanced tab of Verizon Mail Properties (in Outlook Express)
cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do I need to check the two boxes labeled "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"  on the Advanced tab of the Verizon mail Properties when setting up an email account?

So far, I have left the two boxes unchecked and encounter no problems in sending or receiving mail.

What do I gain (or lose) by checkinbg the boxes?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SSL settings on the Advanced tab of Verizon Mail Properties (in Outlook Express)
tns
Master - Level 2

For SSL the ports are smtp 465 and pop 995.  The pop port is actually the standard port for POP SSL.  But the smtp, although common, is not standard.

For non-ssl smtp is 587 (the standard port 25 also works within Verizon's network but not from outside).  The pop is the standard port 110.

View solution in original post

Re: SSL settings on the Advanced tab of Verizon Mail Properties (in Outlook Express)
tns
Master - Level 2

Their are different port used for verizon SSL and non-ssl.  They have been pushing for everyone to switch to SSL.

SSL encrypts all traffic between your machine and Verizon's Email servers making your information more secure.  Really critical if you use a mobile device/laptop that may not be connecting directly to Verizon's network.

cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I am told  using SSL slows down upload and download of email messages. If so, I see no advantage to using SSL.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@CKenneth wrote:

Thanks! I am told  using SSL slows down upload and download of email messages. If so, I see no advantage to using SSL.

These days the extra overhead of SSL shoul not be very noticeable.  It is also expected that Verizon will join the trend of other services and make it mandatory some time in the future.  All in the name of security.

cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

One more question Silver Contributor (sorry, your name is cut off at the margin). If I do accept SSL, what port numbers should I use? Right now I use 25 for Outgoing and 110 for Incoming. BTW, thanks very much for your prompt and helpful answers. I have been unable to get any response from our friendly Verizon tech assistance

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

For SSL the ports are smtp 465 and pop 995.  The pop port is actually the standard port for POP SSL.  But the smtp, although common, is not standard.

For non-ssl smtp is 587 (the standard port 25 also works within Verizon's network but not from outside).  The pop is the standard port 110.

cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you very much "tns Silver Contributor II." You've been very helpful with your prompt answers