Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

STB Ethernet Port

JDL
Contributor
Contributor

STB Ethernet Port

Message 1 of 9
(30,845 Views)
I'm assuming the Ethernet port on my STB (QIP7100) can't be "enabled" so I can plug a computer or other network device into it??  I guess the only other option is to get a NIM-100 and split the coax before the STB to get ethernet there too.  Seems silly.  Anyone?  Beuller?
8 REPLIES 8
TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: STB Ethernet Port

Message 2 of 9
(30,848 Views)
no the port can not be turned on.
cjacobs001
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 3 of 9
(30,749 Views)
That feature is for future enhancements.    But, even when it becomes "on", I can't see how you could get ethernet 'from' it.    It's early though, maybe I need more cofee.
cjacobs001
MagicMan
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 9
(30,730 Views)
What r u trying to do?   If you have FiOS internet, then you should have been given a wireless router.  Can't you connect to that?
TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 5 of 9
(30,721 Views)

@cjacobs001 wrote:
That feature is for future enhancements.    But, even when it becomes "on", I can't see how you could get ethernet 'from' it.    It's early though, maybe I need more cofee.

I have no clue why so many people think that the STB would have a Ethernet out connection. When a device has a network port that is not a Ethernet out port. You can only get that from a router, switch or hub. My xbox is wireless, does that mean I can use the other network port to connect a computer, no it doesn't. Sorry for the little rant but I see this question pop up about 2+ times a week.

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 6 of 9
(30,685 Views)

@JDL wrote:
I'm assuming the Ethernet port on my STB (QIP7100) can't be "enabled" so I can plug a computer or other network device into it??  I guess the only other option is to get a NIM-100 and split the coax before the STB to get ethernet there too.  Seems silly.  Anyone?  Beuller?

Nope. You assume correctly.You could move your router to the STB location if it is connected from the ONT to the router with COAX. That is if you have no Ethernet cables using connections on the router. Or run an ethernet cable to the STB location from the router, or use a NIM-100 purchased off of Ebay.

Mitri360
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 9
(30,632 Views)
if someone could explain what the port is there for int he first place would be nice. because when i hook it into my router it blinks like its working. but it doesn't do anything. i know with dish if you hook it into their hd's it'll allow you to download movies and other things. but what does it do on fios?
TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 8 of 9
(30,631 Views)
nothing
cjacobs001
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 9 of 9
(30,594 Views)

cjacobs001 wrote:
That feature is for future enhancements. 

currently it is not active for anything

cjacobs001
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.