STBs Without Actiontec DHCP
BobbyJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

My STBs have been unable to access guide information since I changed my network from 192.168.1.0/24 (conflicts).

On my home network I have a Windows ADS that runs DHCP on 172.16.1.0/24. The router's DHCP server is off, so there is no interfering network broadcasting. The server, 172.16.1.1, has DHCP set up to point DNS to 172.16.1.8 (Linux server with DNS caching) and the gateway to itself, then the router, 172.16.1.5, as a secondary gateway. The STBs get IP addresses and I have tried reserving them addresses in 172.16.1.100-172.16.1.110 to no avail. (The STBs report their proper 172.16.1.0/24 addresses in the menu). All computers on the network have Internet access, so what could the problem be?

The Internet comes in to the MI424WR through coax, so I had to connect the router's LAN port to a switch so I could connect from the network, if that is of any relevance.

Also, is it possible to downgrade the router's firmware? A call to Verizon (not by me) prompted a FW upgrade, which gutted the firewall configuration abilities.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STBs Without Actiontec DHCP
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not quite sure I follow your DHCP addressing / gateway settings ... but something doesn't seem quite right there.   Can you give that description a go again giving the IP of each device, what their DNS servers are set to, and what their default gateways are set to?

If I'm understanding what you wrote I see several possible issues:

1. The network address range itself.   I don't think this is a problem since I had at one point changed to use a different RFC1918 range for similar reasons and didn't have any problems (despite the insistence of the Verizon tech that it was impossible).

2. The STB's when assigned DHCP from the router get some additional parameters and QOS bits assigned to them (it's not configurable on the router itself, but if you poke about you'll see a reference to the QOS stuff in the interface configuration on the router.

3. The STB's use UPnP to map a port forward thru the router.   While I believe this is only used for the ability to reset the device, etc. by Verizon remotely, and that the guide is obtained by the box reaching out to Verizon, I could be wrong and this reverse connection could be how the guide arrives.

4. It sounds like your sending the default route to your AD box first and then to the router?  If so, the AD box needs to issue ICMP redirects for outside services over to the Verizon router (your path to the Internet).  Not sure if the AD box is doing that or if the STB's will honor ICMP redirects.  The default route doesn't try one path and then the other as you might be thinking.   You should change this to point to the router first and then add a route on the ActionTec to point at the AD server (or more correctly any other networks behind the AD server)  if you need it.

Not sure why you're using the AD server for the DHCP -- I would suggest perhaps you ditch that and use the router for the DHCP.  You can still do the DHCP reservation, etc. and at the same time get the QOS, special parameters, network routing and other items assigned properly.

If you can provide some more detail ... maybe I can spot something else.

ravioli (aka "lasagna" -- who is STILL having an "out of userid" experience!  come on mods, help me out here!)

View solution in original post

ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not quite sure I follow your DHCP addressing / gateway settings ... but something doesn't seem quite right there.   Can you give that description a go again giving the IP of each device, what their DNS servers are set to, and what their default gateways are set to?

If I'm understanding what you wrote I see several possible issues:

1. The network address range itself.   I don't think this is a problem since I had at one point changed to use a different RFC1918 range for similar reasons and didn't have any problems (despite the insistence of the Verizon tech that it was impossible).

2. The STB's when assigned DHCP from the router get some additional parameters and QOS bits assigned to them (it's not configurable on the router itself, but if you poke about you'll see a reference to the QOS stuff in the interface configuration on the router.

3. The STB's use UPnP to map a port forward thru the router.   While I believe this is only used for the ability to reset the device, etc. by Verizon remotely, and that the guide is obtained by the box reaching out to Verizon, I could be wrong and this reverse connection could be how the guide arrives.

4. It sounds like your sending the default route to your AD box first and then to the router?  If so, the AD box needs to issue ICMP redirects for outside services over to the Verizon router (your path to the Internet).  Not sure if the AD box is doing that or if the STB's will honor ICMP redirects.  The default route doesn't try one path and then the other as you might be thinking.   You should change this to point to the router first and then add a route on the ActionTec to point at the AD server (or more correctly any other networks behind the AD server)  if you need it.

Not sure why you're using the AD server for the DHCP -- I would suggest perhaps you ditch that and use the router for the DHCP.  You can still do the DHCP reservation, etc. and at the same time get the QOS, special parameters, network routing and other items assigned properly.

If you can provide some more detail ... maybe I can spot something else.

ravioli (aka "lasagna" -- who is STILL having an "out of userid" experience!  come on mods, help me out here!)

BobbyJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Heh, it was the route. I actually directed everything to the active directory server because all switches and routers on my network except the Verizon are gigabit, but in hindsight I suppose it doesn't matter since switches intelligently direct traffic. And on a side note, I am indeed planning on removing the DHCP and some DNS responsibilities from the ADS and giving them to a SLES/OpenSuSE server.

And, if you're curious, here's a better layout or the relevant parts of my network:

172.16.1.1 Windows ADS, DHCP, DNS (not pointed to by DHCP) (DNS lags)

172.16.1.2 SLES server, DHCP configured, just not deployed yet

172.16.1.5 MI424WR, everything disabled except DNS, which I may have left enabled

172.16.1.8 ClearOS with caching DNS and Squid (points to and caches 172.16.1.1 and Verizon's DNS) (pointed to by DHCP)

Gateway: Now 172.16.1.5, used to be 172.16.1.1

Also, I added option 60 (BOOTP) with 'IP-STB'  to DHCP.

Thanks!