Saving Energy on Earth Day
lawrencegoodman

I have set up my system so I can remotely access a hard drive that is attached to an airport extreme base station which is attached in turn to the verizon actiontec router. My personal computer need not be on so long as the routers are up and running.

Now to conserve energy I like to turn off the network every night when  no one is using it. But I found out this morning that in doing this I am assigned a new IP address. That's a pain and means I have to keep checking my IP address to remotely log in.

So my questions are:

1) Is there any way to stop the reassigning from happening?

2) If I use a service like DynamicDNS, will I need to keep my home computer running all day to remotely access the drive or can the actiontek handle DynamicDNS on its own internally?

My goal is to reduce my power usage and by extension carbon footprint.

Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Saving Energy on Earth Day
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

You can use dynamicDNS which is found by logging into the Action Router and going to:

1.   Advanced

2.   Dynamic DNS

Of course you will need to have set up a dynamic DNS account at say dyndns for this to work.

The Actiontec router will automatically update the DNS with your new IP address so there is no need to keep any computers on for this feature to work.

0 Likes
Re: Saving Energy on Earth Day
bigdaddyfios
Enthusiast - Level 2

AL GORE IS SO PROUD OF YOU

0 Likes