Scheduler - Port Forwarding
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

For security purposes I only want to forward Port 21 to my FTP Server during limited hours on certain days.

I have no problems getting the server to work on  always, but when I pull down on the Always it says you need to go to the Scheduler under advanced options.

I have done that and setup a schedule several times, named it and picked the days and times applicable and saved it.  I then go back to port forwarding and the only option is still only Always.   I then go back to the scheduler and there is nothing there.

Has anybody been able to get the scheduler to work on their Actiontec router for anything and more importantly for port forwarding?   (latest model and the firmware is up to date) 

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Scheduler - Port Forwarding
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@CaptainSTX wrote:

Has anybody been able to get the scheduler to work on their Actiontec router for anything and more importantly for port forwarding?   (latest model and the firmware is up to date) 

I just tried this on a rev. I and it appears to work.  You have to create the scheduler rule BEFORE you create the firewall rule.  

Click on the Advanced icon.

Select Scheduler Rules from the menu.  The Scheduler Rules page appears.

Click Add - The Set Rule Schedule page appears.

Enter a name for the rule.  e.g. "FTP Rule"

Click Add Rule Schedule.  The Edit Rule Schedule page appears.

Check days.  Click New Hours Range.  The Edit Hours Range page appears.

Enter times.  Apply.  You are returned to the Edit Rules Schedule page.

Apply.  You're returned to the Set Rule Schedule page.

Your rule schedule should be displayed.

Apply.  You're returned to the Scheduler Rules page.

Your rule name should be displayed.

Close.

Click on the Firewall Settings icon.

Select Port Forwarding from the left menu.

Select or enter the IP address to forward to.

Select FTP from the application list.

Click on Advanced (if not already selected).

In the Schedule pulldown, you should now see "FTP Rule" in addition to always.

Select it.  Add.  The port forward will now appear on the bottom half of the screen, although it doesn't give any indication that there is a scheduler rule attached.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

For security purposes I only want to forward Port 21 to my FTP Server during limited hours on certain days.

I have no problems getting the server to work on  always, but when I pull down on the Always it says you need to go to the Scheduler under advanced options.

I have done that and setup a schedule several times, named it and picked the days and times applicable and saved it.  I then go back to port forwarding and the only option is still only Always.   I then go back to the scheduler and there is nothing there.

Thanks.

Works fine for me

It 7.30 am on Wed

I created the pf rule and set a time to mon 9am to 11 am and saved it

pf rule comes up in the list as enabled but inactive

modified the rule and added time wed 7am to 9.am and save it - now shows two time ranges

pf rule shows enabled and active

This is an acient Westell 9100em

Personaly I don't use port 21 for ftp as it's a PIA the amount of hacking traffic your router gets hit with. Easier to change the listener to some obscure port that the regular probers don't go to.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks.   

I do know that this feature works on other routers, but I was wondering if anyone had been able to get it to work on an Actiontec or if it is another one of the crippled features on this router.

As for security my FTP server only allows two attempts per minute to log in,  my files are encrypted and read only and on a removable USB drive connected to my ASUS router behind the Actiontec in a diffrent subnet  than my primary network. The FTP server requires a 23 digit password.   I feel I have good security the port forwarding on/off timer would just be another level of protection and also allow multiple FTP servers on my network.

Still would like a definitive yes or no if the timers work on the Actiontec.   Someday when I feel like beating my head against the wall I could alway call customer service.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

Thanks.

report it as a bug

When you set up the time values under advanced on the old routers you give the time value rule a name that can be used in port forwarding

When you go back to port forwarding then you should see the list of named sched rules that were set up amd can then select the one you want - pretty clunky if you ask me as the prvious interface was much simpler to manage.  Apparently your firmware doesn't allow the option of saving scheduler rules.

In advanced scheduling when you enter the time range and say OK it should return you to the edit sheduler rule window where it lists the current rule in the dropdwon.  Does your window show any rules at that time?

When you say OK on that window it should return you to the scheduler rules page athat shows all the rules, does that window show any rules?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

No the rule is never  created as far as I can tell.  Saving doesn't seem to actually save the rule.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'd think everyone who has an actiontec would have this problem as I thought they all use the same firmware via updates they received.  In the case of the Westell there has never been a firmware upgrade so it still runs the way the actiontec's did way back when.

I guess your solution will be to place the ftp server on one of your other subnets and then set your scheduling rules on the router controlling that subnet.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@CaptainSTX wrote:

I just tried this on a rev. I and it appears to work.  You have to create the scheduler rule BEFORE you create the firewall rule.  

Click on the Advanced icon.

Select Scheduler Rules from the menu.  The Scheduler Rules page appears.

Click Add - The Set Rule Schedule page appears.

Enter a name for the rule.  e.g. "FTP Rule"

Click Add Rule Schedule.  The Edit Rule Schedule page appears.

Check days.  Click New Hours Range.  The Edit Hours Range page appears.

Enter times.  Apply.  You are returned to the Edit Rules Schedule page.

Apply.  You're returned to the Set Rule Schedule page.

Your rule schedule should be displayed.

Apply.  You're returned to the Scheduler Rules page.

Your rule name should be displayed.

Close.

Click on the Firewall Settings icon.

Select Port Forwarding from the left menu.

Select or enter the IP address to forward to.

Select FTP from the application list.

Click on Advanced (if not already selected).

In the Schedule pulldown, you should now see "FTP Rule" in addition to always.

Select it.  Add.  The port forward will now appear on the bottom half of the screen, although it doesn't give any indication that there is a scheduler rule attached.

CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for testing and seeing if it is possible.

I swear that the steps you are suggesting are basically the steps I tried on numerous attempts.

I will log into the router latter today ad give it another try.  If necessary I will reboot the router

Currently I am using Parental Controls to block Internet Access to the IP of the FTP server during certain hours.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Got it to work.   Will test over the weekend to see the blocking is actually working at scheduled times.

Thanks again.  Needed something to go right today after discovering I had been victimized as part of Target hack.

To bad we don't still draw and quarter the Target hackers.  

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

Got it to work.   Will test over the weekend to see the blocking is actually working at scheduled times.

Thanks again.  Needed something to go right today after discovering I had been victimized as part of Target hack.

To bad we don't still draw and quarter the Target hackers.  

The status column (last but one) on your port forwarding rules list will tell you whether your rule is active or inactive depending on the time.

0 Likes