Re: Scheduler - Port Forwarding
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I am not sure how well the rule is working.   For whatever reason I could not access my FTP server this morning after the port forwarding was supposedly active.  Had to finagle with the settings to get it back on line.

It my have something to do with the fact that if your Public IP  changes when the FTP port forwarding isn't  active the information from the dynamic DNS doesn't get correctly updated.

Using Parental Controls and blocking Internet access to the FTP server didn't work.  It disables Internet access, but not  FTP transfers.

I will play around  with some settings and see if I can get the on off of the FTP function to work smoothly using software.  If not I will plug the shared drive's power supply  into a lamp timer and have absolute control.  Not great for the drive's longevity but absolute security.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure why changing of the wan address for your verizon router would affect anything.  Actually not sure why your wan ip address should change unless you are turning your router off for more than 4 hours.  Even if you do that the notifier should send the change of ip address to yoy dyn dns server and that should be propogated pretty quickly.

Are you running the dynamic dns option in the VZ router or using a manual notifier on on or more of your internal devices?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

In the process of testing and setting up the DynamicDNS, FTP  and a VPN server I ran my DynDNS on several devices.

During my experimenting my public IP from VZ changed.

Currently the DynDNS is only running from the VZ router.

Port forwarding and my FTP were working correctly today  and until after the holidays I won't have the time to do any further testing.

Thanks.

0 Likes