Seagate GoFlex and DHCP
jkFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read the complaints about using a Seagate GoFlex on a Verizon Router and must say that I had none of those issues. My 2TB GolFlex installed as advertised and is fully functional.  I have it backing up a Windows Vista LapTop and a Windows XP desktop using memeo instant backup.  I also have a netbook running Ubuntu 11.10 Linux that backs up to the GoFlex using the software provided by Ubuntu.  So no complaints there....

But, ever since I installed the GoFlex my Verizon Router will occasionally drop all the WiFi connected devices and it as if DHCP won't reconnect them.  Anything that's hard wired still works: STBs, Desktop PCs, Network Printer, and the GoFlex (I'm not using the WiFi connection for the backup drive)...but the WiFi connected devices: PCs and a WiFi connected network printer are gone. They don't even show up on the internal network and forget about internet connections.

The only solution is to turn off  the FIOS Router, wait a few seconds and turn it back on.  Then everything works again.  The Vista PC needs to be manually disconnected and reconnected to the SSID if you want it back sooner than later, but otherwise it's an easy fix.

The problem is - it's annoying to lose WiFi almost daily!  Any comments or suggetions would be welcome.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Seagate GoFlex and DHCP
jkFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

It has been several weeks and the answer was...turn off UPNP (Play and Play ports) in the GoFlex Preferences!!!

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's interesting...

You haven't by any chance tried shutting off the Backup drive and software to see if the problem stops occurring, have you? Or is that just not possible to do due to how things are set up with backup jobs? Does this problem seem to occur just after a backup job has finished or is it a time of day problem (you can correlate it to a specific time)?

0 Likes
jkFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

It doesn't seem to correlate to a backup.  I just added my XP desktop yesterday and had to do a full backup which didn't cause a loss of wifi.  But the GoFlex and the XP desktop are both ethernet connected devices.  It primarily effects a Vista Laptop which is connected using WiFi and is using Memeo Instant Backup.  On further examination, Vista had the Wifi connection listed as Public and now I wonder if it's a Vista issue.  I changed the connection to a Private network and I'll see what happens.

The fact that this started when the GoFlex was added to the router may have been purely coincidental.  Everything else works perfectly with the backup drive. 

If the network designation doesn't seem to fix things, I'll do as suggested and take the GoFlex off the network for a few days.

I'll update this next week.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the update. Let us know if you find anything!

0 Likes
jkFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

It has been several weeks and the answer was...turn off UPNP (Play and Play ports) in the GoFlex Preferences!!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Awesome solution. I guess we'll keep that in mind then to help out others with similar issues.

0 Likes