Second Router or Wireless Access Point?
semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have Fios 20/5 internet and TV. I would like to add a second router in my living room hopefully using the Coax cable that is run into my living room STB.

I would like this router to be 802.11n, hopefully increasing speed and coverage.

My questions are

Is this set up even possible or advisable?

Can I just split the living room Coax using a NIM, then run Ethernet cable into an 802.11n router and then Coax to the STB?

Would buying a second Actiontec router be better instead of 802.11n?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Second Router or Wireless Access Point?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

semitech wrote:

Yes, absolutely possible.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

semitech wrote:

Can I just split the living room Coax using a NIM, then run Ethernet cable into an 802.11n router and then Coax to the STB?

No.  The TV out connection on a NIM-100 does not pass MOCA and can not be used to feed a STB.  Use a splitter instead.

semitech wrote:

You can buy the 802.11n Actiontec from VZ for $79.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

View solution in original post

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

You would need a MoCa adapter and a splitter.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

semitech wrote:

Yes, absolutely possible.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

semitech wrote:

No.  The TV out connection on a NIM-100 does not pass MOCA and can not be used to feed a STB.  Use a splitter instead.

semitech wrote:

You can buy the 802.11n Actiontec from VZ for $79.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I need a 1 gig splitter, a Moca adapter and the second router. I see an Actiontec ECB 2500c and 2200. Is either acceptable? I've seen posts saying a dual band router has some benefits, could you recommend one that might "play nice" with the Fios Actiontec that I have now. ? Thanks for the links.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The primary difference between the ECB2500 and the 2200 is that the 2500 is MOCA 1.1, which means you can support 16 devices on your MOCA network instead of 7 (if all your devices are MOCA 1.1).

Yes, there is an advantage to a dual-band router if your devices support it.

Go to http://smallnetbuilder.com to checkout various dual-band routers.

Any router or access point will "play nice" with the Actiontec.  Just be sure to put the new router/WAP on a different wirteless channel to prevent the two routers from interfering with each other.

If I were doing this, I would go with the rev. I Actiontec.  While it may be single band, it is the same price as the Actiontec ECB2500 and it provides a MOCA bridge, 4 port switch and wireless access point all in one device.  Less clutter.

0 Likes
semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3
So if I'm understanding you if I go with the Actiontec N router I won't need an ECB 2200 or 2500, I would be able to just run the coax into it from the splitter?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@semitech wrote:
So if I'm understanding you if I go with the Actiontec N router I won't need an ECB 2200 or 2500, I would be able to just run the coax into it from the splitter?

Correct.  Be sure to follow the instructions in part 2 of the following FAQ to set it up correctly.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.2_MOCA#15984

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great thanks, you have definitely pointed me in the right direction

0 Likes