Second report, dropping connection, wifi spotty, failing
Ginseng1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the same Verizon branded MI424-WR rev F wireless coax-fed router since July of 2010 and now I am starting to experience frequent failure of the wifi connection. Sometimes it drops entirely, sometimes it slows to a crawl. When this happens, often I see the "Internet" light and the "Wireless" lights flashing in unison. I have tested speeds using Speedtest from 468 kB/s with latencies of 57 ms. Good speeds are usually around 3,000 kB/s with 32 ms latency. Sometimes it's unusually quick like tonight at 4,000 kB/s with 16 ms latency but this is unusual. Even so, downloading a 20 MB comic from an online store was very slow with effective speeds in the 100-200 kB/s range with intermittent freezes. So please don't ask me to run any synthetic speed tests as they often report high speeds that are not seen in an actual file download.

Very disappointingly, the wifi signal seems to have gotten extremely weak. I'm reading 1-2 wifi bars instead of the full 3 from only 15 feet away inside my house. 25' away at the other side of the house, I get 570 kB/s while parked literally 12 inches from the router, I get 2,200 kB/s. Something is not right if signal strength and speed drop so precipitously in good weather with only one uninsulated interior wall between the router and my test location.

This is extremely frustrating and I would like some help. Never before have we had such difficulties with our wifi. Sometimes web pages and YouTube videos will time out without fully loading it is so bad. I realize wifi can vary with distance but it should not be this severe. And it is nowhere near the speed the router is rated to deliver...unless I'm 12" from the device, which then begs the question, is it really wifi anymore.

WW

0 Likes
Re: Second report, dropping connection, wifi spotty, failing
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Re: Second report, dropping connection, wifi spotty, failing
Ginseng1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm afraid that while informative, it was unhelpful. I appreciate the effort that thread's author put into his posts, but a synopsis or bullet list of key points/practical tips would have added immensely to its usefulness.

Again, I am not saying my wifi has always been slow. I am saying that there was a change and now it is occasionally much slower and less reliable than it had been for the 2 years prior.