Secondary FIOS Router
jumpin68

I have a Primary Fios Router connected using COAX.  There is a spitter on outside of house that connects coax from the Router to ONT.  I have a second splitter with DirectV Coax Connections running to the various TV's in my house.  These two spitters are seperate.

I want to get wifi on the other side of the house so a friend gave me a FIOS router and suggested I use it to as a way to use coax instead of running ethernet cables.  After I got the router I realized it won't work since the directV coax and fios coax are seperate.

One of the bedrooms doesn't have a tv on it but has a coax connection on another splitter.  That splitter connects into the direcTV spillter mentioned before.  Before I ran another coax cable I put a coax connection between the fios splitter and directv splitter. 

The DirecTV was fine the FIOS WAN connection disconnected.  I rebooted the FIOS router and the WAN port said disconnected.  As soon as I removed the COAX connection from direcTV the WAN was re-connected and internet came back.

Anyone know why this would happen? 

If I switched to the ethernet port instead of using the COAX on the primary Fios router and connected the secondary FIOS router back on coax into the fios splitter would the secondary FIOS communicate to the primary router?

If that works my final question/test would be to make a coax connection again between the fios splitter and directV splitter and see if the primary fios router still works then I can connect the secondary fios router into one of the bedrooom directv coax connections giving the other side of the house wifi.

Thanks, Jim

0 Likes
Re: Secondary FIOS Router
yl6
Enthusiast - Level 1

As written it is difficult for anyone to debug your situation. I suggest make some sort of diagram for us to understand better how everything is wired.

That said, it sounds like you are hooking up Fios signal and DirecTV signal onto the same coax cables. That seems like a problem to me.

Also, if you have two Fios routers on the same coax network, both of them will try to be the default gateway and DHCP servers, which could also mess things up. You'd have to change the setting on one of the routers. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios will only support 1 router connection.

You can either get Internet via coax or Ethernet.

If you need extended wifi coverage, you can use a FIOS wifi extender that connects via coax, a moca extender that gives an ethernet connection that can be connected to a WIFI access point or run an ethernet from router to wifi access point.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi jumpin6868;

If you do something like this for your presently "working" setup, it would 

clarify things not only for you but would also help others when you ask for help in expanding your system .

Snagit from TechSmith was used to create my diagram....well worth the investment.

or you could draw it and take a pix, save it to your PC and upload it from there.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/16784?lightbox-my-images=18426i6EFC916270...

jumpin68

That said, it sounds like you are hooking up Fios signal and DirecTV signal onto the same coax cables. That seems like a problem to me.

This is what I'm trying to find out why FIOS and DirecTV onto the same coax is a problem.  

Also, if you have two Fios routers on the same coax network, both of them will try to be the default gateway and DHCP servers, which could also mess things up. You'd have to change the setting on one of the routers. 

The second FIOS router is set to bridge mode, not routing, DHCP server disabled, gets a DHCP address from primary FIOS router.  If I plug a laptop into the ethernet port on secondary router it will get an IP from the Primary Router and get out on Internet so no issue there.  

Diagrams Forthcoming

0 Likes
jumpin68

Fios will only support 1 router connection. 

I agree which is why the secondary router is set up in bridge mode.

If you need extended wifi coverage, you can use a FIOS wifi extender that connects via coax, a moca extender that gives an ethernet connection that can be connected to a WIFI access point or run an ethernet from router to wifi access point.

The issue with the moca extender (or secondary FIOS router set to bridge mode) is the coax connection on the other side of the house is NOT connected to FIOS since those cables are connected to DirecTV.  Trying to see how I can mix both FIOS and DirecTV signals on COAX.  

Digrams forthcoming

0 Likes
jumpin68

Sorry for the crudity of these diagrams

The first diagram is my current set up

When I make the connection between FIOS and DirecTV without the second FIOS router in the mix the Primary FIOS WAN connection goes down.

This is the issue I'm trying to figure out why the FIOS WAN connection goes down when making this connection.  

imageimage

0 Likes
yl6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are you sure that Fios signals and DirecTV signals operate on fully separate frequency channels? 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS use moca to carry internet signals over coax. A quick Google says DirecTV can not run on a network using moca as it will interfere.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

DirecTV and FiOS Coax cannot coexist connected to each other. The ONT is capable of backfeeding out to the dish and will interfere with the operation of the satellite service. DirectTV also utilizes MoCa, and this can interfere with FIOS.

To do what you're trying to accomplish, you'll need to keep any connection from DirecTV to FiOS separate. If you're able to, pull enough coax from the FiOS Splitter to connect up to the coax line in the unused bedroom. Disconnect from the DirecTV Splitter, and use a Coax coupler to join together the two Coax cables. That should solve the problem you're having.

This FAQ, once you have a Coax connection in the room which connects only to FiOS, will help you out with the rest: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984