Secondary router coax connection
Srake

I'm trying to connect a secondary router to my network to expand my home wireless coverage, and have been reading the forums and tutorials and think I get most of it....  But from what I've seen the last step is to connect the primary and secondary  routers LAN's together with a patch cable, which isn't really an option in my case(unless I'm misunderstanding what this means...I take it to mean they'll need to be physically connected via an ethernet cable to properly function).  

What I do have though is a 'hot' coax feed into the room in my house where the router will reside that was turned on by the verizon installer specifically in case I wanted to add an extender, so it should provide a direct feed to the fios connection.  It's just that none of the tutorials I'm reading seem to have this particular setup, so i'm not quite sure how the install is going to differ.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Secondary router coax connection
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

What I get out of your post is that you need something that will take the coax signal in the room and convert it to an ethernet signal for your router.  Amazon sells one:

Actiontec Ethernet over Coax for homes with MoCA Routers.

Search for it there and see if it will solve your problem

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you want to use 2 routers you need to have an ethernet connection between the two. If all you have in that room is a coax I suggest you use the Fios Network Extender instead. It can be found on the following page.https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-accessories/

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please try this guide since you already have a secondary router. Thus only aplies if your secondary router is an ActionTec.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Otherwise your options are limited to the range extender recommended by other posters, or finding an old FiOS router or NIM100 to use.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Srake wrote:

I'm trying to connect a secondary router to my network to expand my home wireless coverage, and have been reading the forums and tutorials and think I get most of it....  But from what I've seen the last step is to connect the primary and secondary  routers LAN's together with a patch cable, which isn't really an option in my case(unless I'm misunderstanding what this means...I take it to mean they'll need to be physically connected via an ethernet cable to properly function).  

What I do have though is a 'hot' coax feed into the room in my house where the router will reside that was turned on by the verizon installer specifically in case I wanted to add an extender, so it should provide a direct feed to the fios connection.  It's just that none of the tutorials I'm reading seem to have this particular setup, so i'm not quite sure how the install is going to differ.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can add any old fios router (obtainable on ebay for reasonable price) as a secondary router.  Configure it to be any network other than 192.168.1 and connect it to the coax connector.  The dhcp server on it will hand out addresses, wifi and ethernet, on the new subnet and anybody on that new subnet will connect to the internet with no issues.

However be aware that devices on the Verizon subnet 192.168.1 will not be able to contact devices on the new subnet.

0 Likes