Security issue I find with Verizon Internet Suite???
PGJK
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have strange behavior within my connection to Verizon router, internet suite and windows XP that I cannot seem to get help with. I have inquired many times as to why the security suite utilizes "ports" which are regularly exploited by hackers in order to gain access to network computers attached to Internet. Here's the problem as I see it

...I have regular hits on port 1900 plus similar packets dropped at port 5000 from what I could only surmise was the suite itself ...there is also similar connection of which I cannot interrogate nor investigate as it does not allow. Why would a Internet or network suite utilize known unsecured ports that can easily be exploited. I use no messaging service (messenger, etc,.), no games (not even MS games added as default in XP), no extraneous add-ons at all. I use "nothing but NET" ...lol ...on this machine ...with exception of such times when adobe or media player is needed, and  I've disabled the updating for these 2 programs. This is basically an internet browsing computer. I won't go into the topology behind it because its really unimportant to this issue.

The Actiontec router, itself, of course has allocated all sorts of port openings for such services as I listed above. Which ones are really needed and how do I disable or make adjustments to it so that my port 1900 is stealthiest to the internet. My goal is to become as invisable as possible on the internet, I wish to STEALTH this port, for the same reason I wouldn't leave my house key in my front or back door so that just anybody wandering by might notice thus they cannot have access into my house without my permission.

I have achieved some steathiness but there's their seems to be a big hole and Internet suite has nothing in it to disable it or stealthy way to utilize it. I seem to have similar problems with being "Ping" requests. I have half of that job done but I cannot achieve a full stealth mode, as I can be pinged but with no response. According to networking resources this makes me vulnerable for any hacker who has the patience to wait for an opening of any exposed ports. I feel no need to have ports open that are not needed, can anybody help me?  Now I'm no netwoking engineer so "ports" meant very little to me until now however I would like to learn ...SMNP, ALG , yada, yada means is "GREEK" to me. ANSWERS with open the port or close the port scenerios ...please ... in layman's terms would be nice too. 65565 is a lot of ports to go through so strings of ports are useful too.

0 Likes
Re: Security issue I find with Verizon Internet Suite???
prisaz
Legend

1. If you have plug and play enabled, software can open ports on the router.

2. What do you mean by Internet Suite? Do you have Verizon's software installed?

3. Do you have TV service? If so there are ports that are required to be open so the Web can talk to the STB.

4. Disabling ping or changing settings on the router can hinder troubleshooting if you were to call for support.

5. There are 3rd party software firewalls that can be run on XP or software that can control the firewall in Vista.

6. If you are really concerned about security you could place another router on the LAN port of the Actiontec and put all your PC hardware on the new routers lan. This would put all hardware on the Actiontec and your PCs on different networks. (Double NAT) So even if the internet could get through your first router it would be unlikely they would get through the second.

7. You could adjust the firewall settings on the Actiontec to lock down some of the ports and or ("Stealth the ports")

GRC among other websites can scan your system for open ports. http://www.grc.com/default.htm go to the ShieldsUp page.

Even if your ports can not be seen, or are stealth, there are scanners and viruses on the Internet that can blindy hit ports that are not even indicated as being there. Your firewall logs will show these packets as dropped.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If UPnP is turned on in the router, turn that feature off.

0 Likes
PGJK
Enthusiast - Level 3

dslr595143 ...thanks i've been there done that ...thats how everything got messed up the first time. I lost my router completely, I was forced to reboot the Verizon's ONT to get back in to my network. I did find that to be the obvious choice though ...Great minds do think alike. THANX

0 Likes
PGJK
Enthusiast - Level 3

1. If you have plug and play enabled, software can open ports on the router.  Yes, I know  Smiley Sad

2. What do you mean by Internet Suite? Do you have Verizon's software installed?  Yes Smiley Wink

3. Do you have TV service? If so there are ports that are required to be open so the Web can talk to the STB. Yes, I know Smiley Wink

4. Disabling ping or changing settings on the router can hinder troubleshooting if you were to call for support. (See my reply to dslr) Smiley Mad

5. There are 3rd party software firewalls that can be run on XP or software that can control the firewall in Vista. Yes, I know ...there is also software in XP plus the "MMC console" but that locked me completely out of Windows ..lol ...I'm on my 3rd re-install ...LOL Smiley Very Happy

6. If you are really concerned about security you could place another router on the LAN port of the Actiontec and put all your PC hardware on the new routers lan. This would put all hardware on the Actiontec and your PCs on different networks. (Double NAT) So even if the internet could get through your first router it would be unlikely they would get through the second. GREAT IDEA   ...would you recommend a wired or wireless router ..Or would a DLink switching box do the trick???

7. You could adjust the firewall settings on the Actiontec to lock down some of the ports and or ("Stealth the ports") Yes, I know ...but which ones ...is there a list of the ports I can remove without causing havoc with my connection ...like I said I don't understand the "anagram language" in as much as I know the gaming ports are apparently not needed for my usage. I don't want to tweak out the wrong ports again! I reluctant to play out that scenario again without the further knowledge of where those ports come into play with my connection. Are You familiar with what I'm talking about? There is a long list of gaming & communication ports tweaks contained within the routers software.

GRC among other websites can scan your system for open ports. http://www.grc.com/default.htm go to the ShieldsUp page.Yes, I know ...I've been there that is how it all got got started ...I assume the Verizon Internet Suite would take care of this stuff ..Apparently I was wrong. I'm not paranoid but I found it to be misleading since I was never actually told of the flaws in the software ..And coincidently the router. In this "age of piracy & identity theft", I wish to safeguard myself as best I can ..And the portal to "My Internet (My virtual front door)" seems a good place to start. I realize I can't possibly out run the hackers & reprobates but I can certainly put up a good defense. Smiley Wink

Even if your ports can not be seen, or are stealth, there are scanners and viruses on the Internet that can blindly hit ports that are not even indicated as being there. Your firewall logs will show these packets as dropped. Yes, I know ...but I don't want those to be too obvious or unnecessarily opened. If they really want in ..They'll have to work for it ...lol Smiley Very Happy

If You can reply to any of the above I would be grateful Smiley Happy

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

After turning off UPnP in the router, turn off and turn back the power to the router.

You should now: Have UPnP **bleep** turned off in the router at Advanced -> UPnP(I believe, that is where it is) and have access to the net.

0 Likes