Seeking Help for Verizon Fios Gigabit Internet Speeds
Muller03171
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I recently upgraded from the Verizon Fios 50/50 plan to the Gigabit internet plan. However since the gigabit internet was installed I have not been experiencing speeds anywhere near what the gigabit internet advertises. Granted I do understand that not all households are guaranteed the 940mbps speeds but I have not received speeds over 200mbps on any of my devices. I tried reaching out to Verizon for technical support but all they have me do is run the speed test on the verizon site which gives me the 940 speeds and therefore they tell me everything is fine. 

I do recall when the technician was here installing the lines for the gigabit internet he said the previous technicians that installed the verzion services when we first got it placed the box in a terrible positon. It is located in the upmost corner of my house and therefore he had to install the router in that same location instead of running an ethernet cable to where our previous router was located (in a good spot). He did install an extender since the router was in such a bad position but I still feel like the signal strength is not good at all.

Sorry for my rambling. I guess my question would be should I schedule an appointment to have a technician relocate the main router to help with the internet speeds or is my household just unable to reach these high speeds. I'm at the point now where I may just downgrade to the 150/150 plan instead of wasting the money on the gigabit plan for speeds that are barely over 150.

Thank you to anyone in advance for your help.

0 Likes
Re: Seeking Help for Verizon Fios Gigabit Internet Speeds
jonjones1
Legend

@Muller0317 wrote:

Hello all,

I recently upgraded from the Verizon Fios 50/50 plan to the Gigabit internet plan. However since the gigabit internet was installed I have not been experiencing speeds anywhere near what the gigabit internet advertises. Granted I do understand that not all households are guaranteed the 940mbps speeds but I have not received speeds over 200mbps on any of my devices. I tried reaching out to Verizon for technical support but all they have me do is run the speed test on the verizon site which gives me the 940 speeds and therefore they tell me everything is fine. 

I do recall when the technician was here installing the lines for the gigabit internet he said the previous technicians that installed the verzion services when we first got it placed the box in a terrible positon. It is located in the upmost corner of my house and therefore he had to install the router in that same location instead of running an ethernet cable to where our previous router was located (in a good spot). He did install an extender since the router was in such a bad position but I still feel like the signal strength is not good at all.

Sorry for my rambling. I guess my question would be should I schedule an appointment to have a technician relocate the main router to help with the internet speeds or is my household just unable to reach these high speeds. I'm at the point now where I may just downgrade to the 150/150 plan instead of wasting the money on the gigabit plan for speeds that are barely over 150.

Thank you to anyone in advance for your help.

The situation is “WiFi cannot be used to measure speeds under any plan with Fios” 

only a direct connection via ethernet from your computer or laptop directly to a lan port on your router.

If the tech and Verizon support are showing gigabyte speeds then the issue is with your computer. And as I stated earlier iPhones and iPads and other assorted WiFi connect devices will never achieve speeds of 940/880 depending on the device may achieve 1/3-1/2 the speed at the most ideal conditions. 

You could have them move the router to a more accessible location or you could use extenders or have them move the ONT to a more acceptable location.

However Verizon Fios May charge you for this change.

Muller03171
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely understand that wireless speeds will never reach the max speeds that the internet plan offers. However it still seems like the speeds are not fast when plugged directly into the router via ethernet. I do have an extender that was set up by the Verizon technician when he was here. Quick question: If I plug ethernet into the extender will I receive the same speeds as if I was plugging in directly to the main router or will speeds be slower since it's coming from an extender?

Also thank you for your response, I appreciate the help.

0 Likes
Muller03171
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also I just plugged my iMac, with a gigabit ethernet port, directly into the Quantum Gateway router and received speeds of 251.33 Mbps download and 899.07 Mbps upload. Seems weird that the upload speed would be accurate to what the plan offers but the download speed is nowhere near close unless I am completely wrong. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Muller0317 wrote:

Also I just plugged my iMac, with a gigabit ethernet port, directly into the Quantum Gateway router and received speeds of 251.33 Mbps download and 899.07 Mbps upload. Seems weird that the upload speed would be accurate to what the plan offers but the download speed is nowhere near close unless I am completely wrong. 

I am going to say that you are not provisioned properly. Call the 1-800-VERIZON select tech support have them run the test from their end. If it’s showing slow they will have the engineering department look at it. When I first had it installed it took three days to provision it correctly. https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/network-extender/wcb6200q-faqs

this may assist you on how the extender functions. On my Netgear extender we use WiFi. I cannot remember if when connected to it via ethernet if I had sustained non WiFi speed.