Self-Installation from External ONT to Modem/Router Inside
fireflyserenity
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am contemplating upgrading from 50/50 to Gigabet internet and understand I need to switch from COAX to Ethernet. Without someone from Verizon coming to make the connection (and without an Ethernet jack), can I simply run an Ethernet cable from the outside ONT box into the house to connect to the new modem/router? Or is it more complicated? Do I need an Ethernet jack or something else? Thanks for any advice!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Self-Installation from External ONT to Modem/Router Inside
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Grendelle wrote:

How can I tell if my ONT box is BPON or GPON? It is from 2008 and the Unit/model is number 0-211M-E.  The only ethernet port in it is already occupied by the thick green wire originating inside the box. 

Yes that ONT is a GPON ONT. It is the outdoor version of the current desktop I211ML model that is installed these days. The thick green ethernet wire you are referring to leads to an IDC ethernet block so you don’t have to crimp an RJ45 end on the cable. It’s similar to what’s in the link below. 

https://www.amazon.sg/Termination-CONNECTORS-Attached-TII-61-1-45B-64010414W/dp/B07KGPMRGT

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ethernet from the ONT to the router (it's not a modem) is required for all speeds at or above 100Mbps.  Verizon is not currently doing inside work due to COVID-19, so you'll need to run the cable yourself to have any hope of an upgrade.  Feel free to install any jacks or connection panels to help manage the cable run.  Be sure to use outdoor rated cable on the exterior run.

If you can run the cable yourself, simply plug it into the Ethernet jack on the ONT and the Ethernet WAN jack on the router.  You may not need a new Verizon router.  An Actiontec Rev I. (red band) or G1100 work fine.  If you don't know the model number, post a picture of your router.

Once you run an Ethernet cable, contact Verizon support via @VerizonSupport on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect and ask them to switch the ONT from MoCA (coax) WAN to Ethernet WAN.  You may need to reset the router.  It only takes a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.

However, gigabit is only available with a GPON ONT.  It's possible you still have a BPON ONT.  If so, Verizon will need to send a tech to replace it.  The power supply is installed indoors and may need to be replaced, too.  If that's the case, Verizon won't do the upgrade as inside work is needed.  The only way to know for sure is to contact Verizon and ask.  Use the methods describe above.

Good Luck.

Grendelle
Enthusiast - Level 1

How can I tell if my ONT box is BPON or GPON? It is from 2008 and the Unit/model is number 0-211M-E.  The only ethernet port in it is already occupied by the thick green wire originating inside the box. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it is that old, probably not. The GPON units are rather small (about the size of a router). The older units filled the entire ONT enclosure.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Grendelle wrote:

Yes that ONT is a GPON ONT. It is the outdoor version of the current desktop I211ML model that is installed these days. The thick green ethernet wire you are referring to leads to an IDC ethernet block so you don’t have to crimp an RJ45 end on the cable. It’s similar to what’s in the link below. 

https://www.amazon.sg/Termination-CONNECTORS-Attached-TII-61-1-45B-64010414W/dp/B07KGPMRGT