Re: Self Organizing Network
CarlAylman

My iPad would not connect to the SON network at all, no problem with two iPhones.  My iPad always functioned best on 5G before.  I turned off SON and my iPad functions again.

0 Likes
The-Bud1

When i first got my initial fios service with the quantum gateway router (the vertical slim black router),  about 5 years ago, the initial install by the technician had both networks using the same SSID name.   This must have been the first version of SON.  Supposedly my devices (my mobile phones) were supposed to switch between the 2 bands seemlessly.  It seemed to work at first, but after a while I often I found that once a device moved off of the 5 ghz to the 2.4 network, it would NOT move back to 5 when the device moved to the same room with the router - just feet away from it.  However, you were unaware of this, unless you logged into the router and looked at what network your device was on.  But at least my devices were connected.     

Then sometime shortly later, a verizon firmware update was pushed, and problems started happening.   Often a cell phone got stuck and could not connect to either network. The router said it was on one of the networks, but the phone could not connect to either.   And... when your phone cant connect to wi-fi, it then connects to the cell network for data... and when you dont have and unlimited cell plan (but only 6gb/month), the next thing you know, you get the "you've used 90% of your data plan" message.  Only a reboot of the router would reset this, so the phone could get back on one of the wifi networks. 

The solution that I was told, was to use 2 different wifi networks, which is what I did.

Ever since then I've been much happier running with 2 distinct network SSID's (plus a guest wifi network), and my connections are more stable.   I still dont have unlimited data, but when I'm running low, now I know it's cause the kids are using the data outside of the house; and not the failure of their phones to connect to wifi in my house.

Thus, I will NOT be enabling this for sure, and hope that the next time Verizon (or I) reboot the router, that SON=YES is not going to be the new default !

Another gripe with this update is that about 6 months ago, a update got pushed out that disabled the option to use MAC filtering.   I found this out becuase I was going to look at enabling it.   I read that  a new firmware "coming out soon" would restore that function.  Now I see the Mac filtering is gone for good, and instead replaced with something else that you control via the MyFios app.   

I'm about ready to dump both FIOS as well as Verizon cell service.   Took away my "Free HBO for LIFE" promo that I got at FIOS signup.   My internet plan was 50mb with a recent "good customer" upgrade to 100mb for free.  But if I want to go from my 100mb to 200mb it's a crazy additional $65 per month.   Or if I want to go from my 100 mb to 75 mb (yes a downgrade), it's an additional $45 per month.  Pricing makes no sense.  Any change to my tv plan will reduce channels & increase price.    But alas, my woes unrelated to SON.

0 Likes
robthx1

theoretically a good sounding idea but I would avoid if most devices eventually end up on 2.4 instead of 5 .

i don't use it and my network is parse out as I want it by me.

verizons biggest problem is their quantum router is terrible with signal strength; specifically 5g band.

0 Likes
Javalin

On MY FIOS app on my smartphone. Instructions say to go to INTERNET then SELF-ORGANIZED NETWORK.

I cant find either. There is absolutely no link on MY FIOS app which states INTERNET

0 Likes
Javalin

The more I read about this, the less confident I am in that I wont have problems. The way that Verizon is, I'll activate it, it'll screw up my entire home wifi setup and I will waste endless hours trying to get in touch with customer service and the endless back and forth in trying to resolve the issue.

I'm going to stick with whatever settings my wifi came with and leave it at that. 

0 Likes
ASDVNOQRIN

@lasagna wrote:

This is where the catch occurs ... it usually works well in reasonable small areas where the clients are not moving around.   

Are you flipping kidding me????  The point is to help connectivity WHEN they move around!!!!!

0 Likes
REM12

Ditto!!!

0 Likes
bendo

Didn't work well at all for me.

Any client on the wireless was limited to slightly less than 100mbits after enabling SON (and resetting the client, etc.).  Once I turned it off and explicitly connected the clients to the -5G version, I got 400mbits on speedtest (I have 1GB FIOS service).  Wired machines typically get about 800mbits.

Dave B.

0 Likes
Doug581

I experimented quite a bit with the SON both on and off.  Bottom line:  with SON on, the desktop which is the most distant from my router wants to connect (presumably because it's the stronger signal) only to the 2.4 signal at roughly 30 to 60 mbps.  However, with SON off and 5G manually selected (showing 2 bars out of 3), it consistently get 150-300 mbps. So I have turned SON off.  

The only disadvantage of relying on my manual choice is that occasionally, the computer (on its own) switches from the 5G to the 2.4 signal.  I'm no expert, but assume that is because the 5G signal just dropped off the map for a moment, since the router is so distant.  So, each morning, I re-connect the desktop to the 5G signal.  

Thoughts?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I get 400Mbps+ on G1100's 5GHz 802.11ac without SON.

Anyway, to avoid having to manually switch between wireless networks, forget the 2.4GHz network on your computer. So the computer has to connect to the 5GHz because it is the only one with known Pre-shared key.