Self install
LenniePaz1

I ordered gigabit service today, and I was hoping to do a self install. When I married my wife, I moved into her house. She said she had FiOS years ago, but there is no Verizon ONT box in the basement. The only thing I see in the basement, is a coax cable with another wire that is zip tied to it, and the end is cut off that wire. I'm guessing the ONT box was removed then?

0 Likes
Re: Self install
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT may be outside but there should also be a power supply inside. If the power supply is cut out you’ll need a tech visit.

0 Likes
LenniePaz1

My wife told me she remembers a gray Verizon box being in the basement, before her basement was finished. I bet the contractor removed it when he finished the basement. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LenniePaz wrote:

My wife told me she remembers a gray Verizon box being in the basement, before her basement was finished. I bet the contractor removed it when he finished the basement. 

You will definitely need to schedule a visit  then. 

0 Likes
LenniePaz1

Are they even sending techs out with the quarantine still going on?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon techs are reported to currently prohibited from going inside homes.  They are working on issues that can be resolved from the outside.  For some issues they  leave equipment on the door step then step customers through the inside install work via phone or video chat.

They are developing new ways of deploying FiOS support and services that keep their techs out of harms way, so the procedures may be different tomorrow from what they were last week.

For your specific situation, their ability to do an install will be determined by the following:

• Existence of a fiber drop.
  • Existence of a powered up GPON ONT.
  • Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router location.

If all of these are present, it should be possible to do a self install.  If not, a Verizon tech will need to be involved, although you can install Ethernet yourself.  The key factor is if the needed work is inside or outside.  If there is inside work needed, it may be a while until you can get FiOS.

The best advice I can give you is to contact Verizon and find out what they can do for you given the specifics of your premise.  Use @Verizon Support on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect to contact their social media support team.  They are often better then front line support reps.  Both channels get you to the same people, just choose if you like tweeting or posting.

Good Luck.

0 Likes