Serious need of help. VOIP soft phone one-way audio
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

REALLY hoping someone out there has some insight on what to do for this problem, since Verizon so far has offered no help.

So we recently moved to an apartment and installed new FIOS service. I rely heavily on my VOIP soft phone (Cisco IP Communicator) for my work, but since we installed FIOS at our apartment, my softphone only has one-way audio (i.e., callers can hear me, but I can't hear them). Problem only occurs on this network, other networks work fine. Funny thing is.... I had FIOS at my previous residence with no issues whatsoever.

So far, I've tried the following....

• Had Verizon replace the router with same current Actiontec model (they say no other routers are available)
  • Factory reset on router
  • Power cycled ONT
  • Reinstalled all softphone software on my computer
  • Tried a couple port forwarding settings on the router, but not quite sure how that would be configured or even if that would make a difference. I use my softphone over VPN.

So after troubleshooting and working with some IT folks at my work, it HAS to be either the router, ONT, firmware, or something else with Verizon's equipment coming to the building.

If ANYONE out there has experienced this issue and has some guidence on how to resolve it, I would be most grateful. As I mentioned, Verizon has been no help whatsoever. They sent me the same router, then sent a tech, and after I told the rep on the phone repeatedly that it is an issue with something blocking incoming VOIP packets, they sent someone out to check our phone jacks (???). 

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Serious need of help. VOIP soft phone one-way audio
Hubrisnxs
Legend

my first thought is the pf rules,  can you post make and model for both your phone and your vpn. which revision actiontec you have and what vpn software your using.   also if you could post a screen grab of your pf rules, that would be helpful.

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is the rule I tried (again, I'm pretty much a PF novice). My VOIP phone requires me to be on VPN, so I selected L2TP.

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also, the router is an Actiontec MI424WR, Rev.1

The softphone application on my computer is Cisco IP Communicator

Thanks again

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, try this.

Add one more rule, to that device,  add the PPTP rule (it's preconfigured, you just use the drop down to select your IP and also the protocol - you might have to hit show more services to find the pptp)

add it. 

Reboot your phone, and try it again

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found that rule and was able to add it. 

After restarting Cisco IP Communicator and making an outbound call, still only getting one way audio, unfortunately.

Here is my PF config so far...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

For some reason verizon has a hold on the image, so it will end up displaying I hope real soon.  I can't see it yet.

When you added the one rule, did it add the GRE tunneling like my picture showed?  it should have

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

It did

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok good, I'll try to look up your phone and see if you need any other PF rules, and hopefully our image file will load soon 

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's another attempt at my last screenshot

0 Likes