Set Westell into Bridge Mode
reno
Okay so I've seen plenty of posts where it is suggested to place a secondary router behind your Westell but do I need to place the Westell into bridge mode or simply connect it into the Westell? Which one will be doing the actual routing?
0 Likes
Re: Set Westell into Bridge Mode
prisaz
Legend

@reno wrote:
Okay so I've seen plenty of posts where it is suggested to place a secondary router behind your Westell but do I need to place the Westell into bridge mode or simply connect it into the Westell? Which one will be doing the actual routing?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If your Westell is the primary router, you will need to have it route connections for your TV and issue addresses to the STB. Some have placed the Actiontec behind their router and placed the Actiontec in bridged mode. I at one time just connected my router WAN into the LAN port on the Actiontec and left both acting as routers. What issues are you having with the Westell?

0 Likes
reno

Well no issues as of yet, but as for what I'm trying to accomplish is:

1) I really would like to have an ethernet hand-off from Verizon (I have coax) but have not had a chance to call and request it, I dont even know if they will provide me with an ethernet hand-off. 

2) In the meantime I would like to place this router in bridge mode so that I can place my own router behind it.

3) I want my router (Cisco 827) to be the one and only router servicing my network.

I have no FiOS tv only internet and I have the Westell 9100EM. 

So what do you think is this possible, if so how can I place this router in bridge mode?

Thanks 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Check this link. You can set your COAX to bridge. I prefer to have the Ethernet enabled on the ONT.I have an Actiontec bridged for COAX to the TV STBs and sitting on the inside of my IPCop router that is connected with Ethernet to the ONT. There are many ways to do this. Check this link.

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router#No_FiOS_TV.2C_coax_only

I just went to the site and followed the thread regarding bridged mode on the COAX. It had the Actiontec and not the Westell. The Westell should be close but I have not looked into it. If you have an Ethernet cable run from your ONT, I would call tech support and the switch only takes a few key strokes on their part. Remember if you add TV you will need to make the Westell work and they will not support your Cisco. If TV is added later you could always place the Westell behind your Cisco.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-05-2009 08:59 PM
0 Likes
reno

Trust me, I'm an ethernet guy and I kick myself on a daily basis for not catching it during the initial install, I would have definitely had them install ethernet, I will certainly make that my weekend project this week. As for the link thanks, I'll check it out and follow it step by step, I'm wondering if I call Verizon tech support will they assist in converting it into bridge mode??? 

Let me ask you something,  will Verizon FiOS provide an ethernet hand-off or must I connect to their router in bridge mode? 

Thanks for your expertise!!! 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@reno wrote:

Trust me, I'm an ethernet guy and I kick myself on a daily basis for not catching it during the initial install, I would have definitely had them install ethernet, I will certainly make that my weekend project this week. As for the link thanks, I'll check it out and follow it step by step, I'm wondering if I call Verizon tech support will they assist in converting it into bridge mode??? 

Let me ask you something,  will Verizon FiOS provide an ethernet hand-off or must I connect to their router in bridge mode? 

Thanks for your expertise!!! 

On the customer side of the ONT there should be an Ethernet port, unless the newer ONTs have done away with it. I have read that if you call them they will switch it for you. I would not look for support on any non standard install, like setting up a bridge to a different router. What I have done is used a different router, turned off the WAN port on theirs, and disable DHCP. Connected the LAN to LAN on my router. But if you do not have TV or plans for it I would put the Westell in a box on the shelf and use the Cisco if that is what you want. There have been complaints about the Actiontec router but have not heard much about the Westell. What I did was used a pre terminated CAT6 cable from the ONT because of the sealed connectors and better quality cable, not that it is needed.
0 Likes
reno

Yeah, I have no plans for FiOS tv so I think in my case I could do away with the Westell Router, but if I do dont I need to be concerned clocking signals and syncronization? Do you know if Verizon will provide that for me?  Because if that were the case then I wouldnt need to bridge the Westell right?

On the customer side of the ONT there should be an Ethernet port, unless the newer ONTs have done away with it. I have read that if you call them they will switch it for you. I would not look for support on any non standard install, like setting up a bridge to a different router. What I have done is used a different router, turned off the WAN port on theirs, and disable DHCP. Connected the LAN to LAN on my router. But if you do not have TV or plans for it I would put the Westell in a box on the shelf and use the Cisco if that is what you want. There have been complaints about the Actiontec router but have not heard much about the Westell. What I did was used a pre terminated CAT6 cable from the ONT because of the sealed connectors and better quality cable, not that it is needed.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

you are thinking too much.  no need to be concerned about " clocking signals and syncronization"

Verizon can turn on your ethernet port at the optical network terminal, and there should be no need for a field tech to come to your house just to do that.

However, note that if you want to change from the initial configuration with the cables (change from coax to ethernet) they have to charge you to come back to do it.

So, have them turn it on (it should not deactivate the coax), plug something in to the port on the ONT to test it, then run the ethernet cable yourself = no charges.

Or you can pick up a NIM (network interface module) somewhere and hook that into the coax line that now plugs into your router, then get an ethernet cable to run from the NIM to the router. 

0 Likes