Set to get Gigabit internet next week need modem/router suggestions
Fmp2491
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello all, 

so I have been looking on the internet for solutions to this Fios internet G1100 problem I am not a fan of all in one unit and so I want to look into solutions. I currently have Optimum 200/30 internet and I am switching because well it's not that good. Optimum, however, provided me with a modem and a router I returned the router and got the Nighthawk X6 R8000. I love that router it works well and the wifi coverage is vastly superior to the one optimum gave me. 

So with the Fios better everything package set to begin next Monday 10/15/18, I want to investigate if I can (1) Use the router I have currently have (only if its better than the G1100 that Verizon gives)? and (2) what modem would I get if I do decide that the G1100 is not as good and I would rather switch.  

Also, the last question if anyone happens to know the answer to it. Am I able to install a VPN in the router or no. As of now, I use the VPN on each device individually but I think it would be much better to just set it up in the router if I could. I use PIA's VPN if that makes any difference. 

0 Likes
Re: Set to get Gigabit internet next week need modem/router suggestions
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To better assist you:

#1 While we know that you are getting FIOS Internet, are you also getting FIOS TV?

#2 With FIOS they do not use modems. Instead they have what is called an ONT.

As far as I know: All the ONT does it convert between the light (Fiber) to electrical (ethernet or MOCA) and vice versal (the reverse).

#3 They also give out a NAT router. That router (Fios internet G1100 or what ever they give to you) can either use the ethernet connection or the MOCA to the ONT.

0 Likes
Fmp2491
Enthusiast - Level 1

1) No not getting TV

2) Yes the installer just left he explained that to me 

3) Understood I have that router the G1100 or the quantum router. 

I am curious because after the installer left the internet was working fine which it still is. However, my speed is 650mb/s on average download and 850mb/s on average upload. Is this because of peak time demands since it is 10:50 am EST? or is this because the network takes a few hours to settle in? I was under the impression once the router was booted up and ready to go it was ready to go?

this is why I was inquiring about using my own router because the router I purchased the NightHawk X6 R8000 was supposed to be a really fast router when I first got it and I thought it might still be better than this G1100 that Verizon gave me.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You can use your own Netgear router (I use the R8500 Nighthawk) because of its superior WiFi signal strength. The main complaint against the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router model G1100 is WiFi dropping, or not connecting etc. however the router is listed for use on gigabyte speeds.

you could use the Netgear in access point mode which is a flick of a switch on the Netgear routers. You would take a ethernet cable from the LAN port (4 are on the Quantum) not the WAN port and hook that into the WAN port on the Netgear. Then initialize the better WiFi on the Netgear and remember to turn off the WiFi on the Quantum router. Saves a load of headaches.

additionally Verizon support will not cover any issues you may have if you just use your own router. (I keep one on hand just to test speeds or if I should ever need support which I haven’t for going on two years)

normally the lower speeds can be due to due to not being provisioned correctly. This happened to me when I first took the gigabyte service. After a few days it was blazing at the listed 940/880 up to speeds. 

Fmp2491
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok I understand what you mean about getting tech support. My house is getting horrible wifi signal with this router so I am going to have to try and change it. Thank you 

0 Likes
Fmp2491
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok so my question now is different. After a full week on this router provided by Verizon I am getting slow and weak signal because of the number of walls between where the router is and where the main TV in the house is. There is no solution for me to wire the router in the center of the house as the family prefers not to drill any holes for new LAN access. So I am looking for a system that accommodates the following. 

Gaming support VIA LAN connection from the main unit. 

Streaming support via wireless in 3 other rooms for TV

My house is about a 2500 square foot Ranch style home. 

Router is located in the far corner of the bedroom furthest from the garage. The living room [main entertainment room] is located one room away from the Garage. (Approximately 25 linear feet away) However, it is about 3 or 4 walls separate these two rooms. 

I am split between getting a stronger router such as the Netgear Night Hawk X10 or XR500 or XR700 when it comes out in a few days. Or do I go for something such as the Netgear Orbi or Linksys Velop or something long that mesh product line. 

Pros and Cons seem pretty self-explanatory. The only thing I am not sure about is I have no experience with Mesh Wifi and am not sure the gaming performance that will be expected out of the main router? Like I said my bedroom is the gaming room where I have PS4, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC (which streams to twitch) 4k smart tv etc... The reason I am nervous is that as of now I am running 3 ethernets to my devices listed. The only one which utilizes wifi in my room is the Nintendo Switch. however, I could run an ethernet directly into that unit as well if that issue persists. 

The living room utilizes Youtube TV service to replace the cable box and has been having issues with streaming at 1080p quality because the signal strength is too weak. Will the ORBI be the best solution because of the low penetration of modern routers? Will the ORBI see lower gaming performance versus a router such at the Nighthawk when my devices are plugged into the gigabit ethernet port directly?

0 Likes