Setting up Apple Time Capsule
ballawana13

I have run out of space on my 250 GB HD.  I got a 500 GB Time Capsule cheap and I am having difficulty setting it up. 

What seems to be giving me the problem is it asks for the DHCP Client ID#.  Where do I find this and once found will that allow me to get it connected properly?  I have both Mac and PC and trying to setup using the Mac.

0 Likes
Re: Setting up Apple Time Capsule
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure, but I can guess...

#1 In the router, it will tell you the MAC Address and DHCP Client.

#2 For the MAC Address, see as need be

http://www.coffer.com/mac_info/

0 Likes
LizJ
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't think the MAC address is needed (not one and the same as a Apple Mac, either). I don't have a Time Capsule but I've set up several Macs on our network.

Apple has a good support site...have you take a look at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1178 ?

0 Likes
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

XP Click start then run then type cmd in the run box.  Command prompt opens..Type IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG /ALL

Vista click the flag and type CMD directly above the Flag in the white box

Apple Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal -> then type "ifconfig"  OR  the friendlier version System Preferences -> Network -> (select device) -> TCP/IP

What is termed the Client ID for the purposes of the DHCP protocol is whatever is used by the protocol to identify the client computer. By default, DHCP implementations typically employ the client's MAC address for this purpose, but the DHCP protocol allows other options. Some DHCP implementations have a setup option to specify the client ID you want. One alternative to the MAC address is simply a character string of your choice. In any case, in order for DHCP to function, you must be certain that no other client is using the client ID you choose, and you must be sure the DHCP server will accept it.

Here's where that setting is located

• Mac OS X 10.5: System Preferences -> Network -> Select network interface on left (e.g., Ethernet or AirPort) -> Advanced (button) -> DHCP Client ID
  • Microsoft Vista: Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Network Connections -> Local Area Connection (right click) -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Locally Administered Address
  • Hope some of this helps you on your Journey

0 Likes