Setting up Apple Time Capsule

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 1 of 4
(6,710 Views)

I have run out of space on my 250 GB HD.  I got a 500 GB Time Capsule cheap and I am having difficulty setting it up. 

What seems to be giving me the problem is it asks for the DHCP Client ID#.  Where do I find this and once found will that allow me to get it connected properly?  I have both Mac and PC and trying to setup using the Mac.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Setting up Apple Time Capsule

Message 2 of 4
(6,658 Views)

I am not sure, but I can guess...

#1 In the router, it will tell you the MAC Address and DHCP Client.

#2 For the MAC Address, see as need be

http://www.coffer.com/mac_info/

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(6,638 Views)

I wouldn't think the MAC address is needed (not one and the same as a Apple Mac, either). I don't have a Time Capsule but I've set up several Macs on our network.

Apple has a good support site...have you take a look at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1178 ?

Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 4 of 4
(6,606 Views)

XP Click start then run then type cmd in the run box.  Command prompt opens..Type IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG /ALL

Vista click the flag and type CMD directly above the Flag in the white box

Apple Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal -> then type "ifconfig"  OR  the friendlier version System Preferences -> Network -> (select device) -> TCP/IP

What is termed the Client ID for the purposes of the DHCP protocol is whatever is used by the protocol to identify the client computer. By default, DHCP implementations typically employ the client's MAC address for this purpose, but the DHCP protocol allows other options. Some DHCP implementations have a setup option to specify the client ID you want. One alternative to the MAC address is simply a character string of your choice. In any case, in order for DHCP to function, you must be certain that no other client is using the client ID you choose, and you must be sure the DHCP server will accept it.

Here's where that setting is located

• Mac OS X 10.5: System Preferences -> Network -> Select network interface on left (e.g., Ethernet or AirPort) -> Advanced (button) -> DHCP Client ID
  • Microsoft Vista: Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Network Connections -> Local Area Connection (right click) -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Locally Administered Address
  •  

Hope some of this helps you on your Journey

Joe D
    Verizon Telecom
    Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.Follow us on Twitter™!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
    Covid19

Browse Categories
    Categories:
    Verizon Troubleshooters
    Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.