Setting up Google Nest with Verizon QG
asgold25
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying to set up a new Google Nest system so I can have better coverage throughout my home. I've done this in the past with Comcast by putting the device (modem/router all in one) into bridge mode, but you can't do that with Fios.

Right now, my QG has only a COAX cable connected to it (which provides the internet), but there is no existing router or other device plugged into it as I am using the QG as my router (it broadcasts both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks), which I am currently connected to. I'm attempting to set up Google Nest, using the Nest as the router with the intention of setting up the other two points elsewhere in the house to improve coverage. I am following the below steps to set up the router (which I found on this forum herešŸ˜ž

First, login to the router at http://192.168.1.1/ using the admin username and the password, which is on the label attached to the router. Then:

1. Click on the My Network icon at the top.
  2. Click Network Connections from the menu on the left.
  3. Click Broadband Connection
  4. Click Settings
  5. Scroll down and click Release under DHCP Lease
  6. Click Apply
  7. Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Once you have run these steps, immediately plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN port of your own router. Your router should now get Internet.

I'm able to successfully release the DHCP lease, but seem to be running into a problem with step #7. I have no other router connected to the QG (in fact nothing is plugged into the WAN port), so am not sure what I'm supposed to disconnect. When I've followed the steps above to #7, then try and set up my Google Nest device by plugging it into the WAN port (and using the Google Home app), I'm being told that there's no internet connection. My assumption is that I need to turn off the Wifi entirely first, but if I do this, I'll have no way of connecting to the QG and releasing the DHCP as I don't have a laptop with an ethernet port.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up Google Nest with Verizon QG
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You canā€™t do what you are trying to do if your ONT is connected via coax. You can connect to the internet in two ways. WAN coax(MoCA) or WAN ethernet. 
In order to use your Google as primary you need to run ethernet from the ONT. You can do it yourself or have Verizon do it for you. 
You can also leave the Verizon router as primary, turn off the wifi, connect the LAN to your Google and connect to the Googleā€™s 2.4/5 GHz networks. 
Do you have FiOS TV or are you internet only?

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You canā€™t do what you are trying to do if your ONT is connected via coax. You can connect to the internet in two ways. WAN coax(MoCA) or WAN ethernet. 
In order to use your Google as primary you need to run ethernet from the ONT. You can do it yourself or have Verizon do it for you. 
You can also leave the Verizon router as primary, turn off the wifi, connect the LAN to your Google and connect to the Googleā€™s 2.4/5 GHz networks. 
Do you have FiOS TV or are you internet only?

asgold25
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I do have tv as well, but it's in a different room, also connected via COAX.

If I don't want to have Verizon come out to run ethernet from the ONT, how would the second option work? Just login to the router and turn off the wifi, and then connect Google router to the WAN port? Do I need to release the DHCP lease as well?

0 Likes
asgold25
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, that was a really stupid question. I hooked the nest up to my LAN and was able to get it set up successfully, and then turned off the Wifi on my QG. Works great, thanks!

Gari1

I just bought the Nest wifi that I connected to the VZ QG router using the ethernet cable. Disabled wireless on the VZ QG router. When I try to connect to the Nest wifi network, the connection is spotty - drops and reconnects. And am getting very slow speeds. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/26993275?hl=en

the nest community has plenty of answers. 

0 Likes