Setting up Google WiFi with Verizon router
SD310

Hello: Non Techie here. I want to set up the google wifi mesh in my apartment because I have several deadzones although I have the Fios Gigabit connection.

Can I configure Google by simply attaching an ethernet cable from router to Google, and then set the other two google boxes where I have deadzones?

any option to get rid of the verizon router, may be with other accessories?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up Google WiFi with Verizon router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DebiLee wrote:

You really shouldn’t connect a

router into another router (such as the Fios router) as that creates a double NAT issue and connectivity and performance issues.

Why not? It depends on how you connect the routers. Double NAT can be completely avoided and you can reduce any router into a layer 2 device (namely an extender, a wireless access point, a switch, a MoCA adapter, and etc.).

The only way you can create a double NAT is to plug in an Ethernet cable from router 1's LAN port to router 2's WAN port. Even connecting like this, you can disable a Verizon router's NAT to serve as a switch, namely bridging the router.

I created this guide https://forums.verizon.com/t5/G1100-Bridging-Guide/bd-p/g1100-bridging-guide for customers to configure a Fios-G1100 into a layer 2 device. You can check it out.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@SD3 wrote:

Hello: Non Techie here. I want to set up the google wifi mesh in my apartment because I have several deadzones although I have the Fios Gigabit connection.

Can I configure Google by simply attaching an ethernet cable from router to Google, and then set the other two google boxes where I have deadzones?

any option to get rid of the verizon router, may be with other accessories?

That is not the way it works. You must have the Verizon router or your own router in the equation. After you set up the mesh system via the router the extenders should work.

it can be set up with the Verizon router or your own purchased router. 

0 Likes
eric_peterson3

Funny, I just plugged the Cat 5 cable from the ONB outside directly into the google wifi router and then from the google wifi router to my 16 port switch.  Everything works and the quantum gateway router from Verizon is unplugged.  I am typing on my computer connected through the google wifi router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@eric_peterson3 wrote:

Funny, I just plugged the Cat 5 cable from the ONB outside directly into the google wifi router and then from the google wifi router to my 16 port switch.  Everything works and the quantum gateway router from Verizon is unplugged.  I am typing on my computer connected through the google wifi router.

Read the original post again. The poster wants to use his/her MESH system.

your ROUTER will work as you describe as will any other capable ROUTER.

the mesh system works different.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can connect it to Fios router but if you want to get rid of fios router. Then ethernet from ont will connect to first  Google wifi box you setup will have but  don’t necessarily setup the 2nd and 3rd mesh boxes too far away from the 1st. They both need to be in a good range of the main one and wherever you go you will router to the strongest one. 

Now as far as accessories if you want to hard wire anything you will need a switch as they only have 1 lan port. And if you have fios tv you will need to some sort of moca adapter. Connect one of the switch ports the moca adapter’s ethernet port and the coax that was going in the fios router now in the coax on the moca adapter.

Jw3421

Why so aggressive? The google Wi-Fi mesh system works as a router and an extender, so as the above poster stated, you can bypass the Fios router and plug the Ethernet from the ONT right into your primary google Wifi point. If you have coaxial cable from ONT you can either have Verizon switch to Ethernet for you, or disable the quantum boxes routing function (there is a separate post on it if you google). Both methods work fine with google Wi-Fi set up

0 Likes
DebiLee1

As long as there aren’t any Verizon set top boxes  exactly how it works though. Just connect the first WiFi point to the ONT with the Ethernet connection, and follow the setup directions in the Google Home app. My Nest WiFi router has been working fine this way for over a month.

If there are any set top boxes then it gets a little more complicated but not impossible.

0 Likes
DebiLee1

router into another router (such as the Fios router) as that creates a double NAT issue and connectivity and performance issues.

The way you described the setup with getting rid of the router is spot on. Hell for some reason I’m even able to use my VMS DVR’s without any issues, including OOH streaming and remote DVR programming. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DebiLee wrote:

Why not? It depends on how you connect the routers. Double NAT can be completely avoided and you can reduce any router into a layer 2 device (namely an extender, a wireless access point, a switch, a MoCA adapter, and etc.).

The only way you can create a double NAT is to plug in an Ethernet cable from router 1's LAN port to router 2's WAN port. Even connecting like this, you can disable a Verizon router's NAT to serve as a switch, namely bridging the router.

I created this guide https://forums.verizon.com/t5/G1100-Bridging-Guide/bd-p/g1100-bridging-guide for customers to configure a Fios-G1100 into a layer 2 device. You can check it out.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes