Setting up Thunderbird w/sub accounts- subs can't send messages
elPrez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok,

I switched form comcast and have used Thunderbird for years. I switched the comcast accounts over to my new Verizon accounts. Everything looks correct but on the sub accounts and only the sub accounts, if I try to send an email I get the following message

"an error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 Authentication is required to send mail as {edited for privacy}@verizon.net>, Please verify that your email address is correct in your mail preferences and try again"

soooo.... What did I do wrong and who is {edited for privacy}@verizon.net???

I hate to delete all the accounts and try from scratch since I still have read email from my old account that I don't want to lose.

Thanks in advance!

John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up Thunderbird w/sub accounts- subs can't send messages
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@elPrez wrote:

Yes, it does but should there be a seperate user name/ password set up for each sub email in Thunderbird? or does it use the main acct log-in?

It didn't ask for username/password when I try to send...is there a way to force that or a place to fill that in elsewhere?

You can set up multple outgoing servers and assign the subs to use the correct one for their Auth info. On the same Outgoing server screen as before, click the Add... button. Fill out the information for the sub account in the pop-up, and give it a clear description. (The username would probably be a good choice.) This should make it so you have multiple outgoing servers listed:

Then click on the sub account on the left and set the Outgoing Server (SMTP): drop-down on that page to outgoing server you just set up for that sub:

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Just about any time your see resxxxxxx@verizon.net or vzexxxxxx@verizon.net, that's your vzid. It's a user id that is automatically assigned to your account when Verizon creates it. It is interchangable with your username, so you can use it to authenticate, send mail, etc.

Looking at the error you provided, it looks like you are missing a check for your outgoing server requiring authentication. Verizon's incoming and outgoing servers both require authentication with your username (or vzid) and password.

To check.change this, go to Tools>Account Settings... Then select Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the left side of the window that comes up. There should be a list there that includes "<yourusername> - outgoing.verizon.net" or something similar. Select that entry and click the Edit... button. This should pop up another, smaller window. In the Security and Authentication section, make sure there is a check in the box for Use name and password. Your Verizon username should be in the User Name field, and Use secure connection should be set to No. It should prompt you for a password when you go to send mail with that account, and at that point it should give you an option to save the password.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
elPrez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, that's how everything is set ...thanks though, must be something else...gremlins?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

double check your username/password combo.

Go to www.verizon.net and see if the sub acct username/password combo will log you in, just to double check.

elPrez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it does but should there be a seperate user name/ password set up for each sub email in Thunderbird? or does it use the main acct log-in?

0 Likes
elPrez
Enthusiast - Level 2

somegirl wrote:It should prompt you for a password when you go to send mail with that account, and at that point it should give you an option to save the password.

It didn't ask for username/password when I try to send...is there a way to force that or a place to fill that in elsewhere?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@elPrez wrote:

You can set up multple outgoing servers and assign the subs to use the correct one for their Auth info. On the same Outgoing server screen as before, click the Add... button. Fill out the information for the sub account in the pop-up, and give it a clear description. (The username would probably be a good choice.) This should make it so you have multiple outgoing servers listed:

Then click on the sub account on the left and set the Outgoing Server (SMTP): drop-down on that page to outgoing server you just set up for that sub:

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

elPrez
Enthusiast - Level 2

ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!!!

Thanks, that worked!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Glad to hear it! (Well, read it anyway.) 🙂