Setting up a VLAN
Waffleboy

I want to preface this by saying, at the moment, I am very unhappy with Verizon support.  I called the technical support number, where I was told to enter my account information.  I did and was asked what kind of problem I was having.  I chose technical support, which was acknowledged by the computer.  However, without giving me a chance to say anything other than I need technical support, I was told that Technical Support cannot answer my question and I was transferred to general support.  From there,  I explained my problem  and was transferred to technical support (for real this time).  I explained my problem (which I will describe below) to the technician, who told me I would need to be transferred to advanced technical support (or something to that effect).  I was, however, instead transferred to Microsoft technical support for no reason I am able to discern, as my problem is specific to Verizon.  As I thought, Microsoft could not help me and I had to hang up.  30 minutes completely wasted.

I then came to the forum, hoping to get help here.  I couldn't remember my login information, so I had to retrieve my account name and set a new password, which is my fault, so no problems here.  But I could not use the information to login to the forum; it said my login ID and password did not match.  I figured I entered my password in wrong and tried to reset my password again, and got the same error.  I am positive I am using the correct account because I was linked directly to the password reset from the forum login.  I apologize for taking so long to get to my point, but as you can probably tell, I am very angry and frustrated, and there are clearly some issues that need to be worked out. 

Now, my issue.  I want to isolate a computer on my local network, and am given to understand the best way to do this is to create a VLAN based on the ports on my router.  I believe I can figure this out, but I wanted some help to make sure I do everything correctly.  Basically, I want a network with one isolated computer and a network for the rest of the wired and wireless computers in the house, separate from each other but all connected to the internet through the router.  Thank you for your help.

By the way, here is my router information:

Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3

Model Name: MI424-WR  

Hardware Version: C

0 Likes
Re: Setting up a VLAN
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3
Re: Setting up a VLAN
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah I wouldnt bother contacting Verizon. Internal networking (and that is what you are trying to do) is beyond Verizon Support. They will not even try to help you with this. That is why they sent you to Microsoft. The agent probably had no clue where else to refer you to. Verizon may offer you the Premium Tech support but that is a pay service. Your gonna be on your own for this. Help here, other internet services, or pay someone to come out and help are going to be about your only choices.