Setting up a static LOCAL ip address
dpf

Situation:  I have a linux laptop and a linux workstation.  I keep the two systems synced using a linux ssh tool that automatically syncs directories on the two computers. 

Problem:  Periodically my Actiontec MI424-WR router will assign a new local ip address (192.168.1.22 for example) using DHCP.  My ssh sync is local ip address driven so the assignment of a new local ip address goes un-noticed until my sync scripts don't work because of the new local ip address.

Presumed Solution:  I'd like to assign an local IP address to a few of the computers in our home network.  Seemingly easy.  But given the I only need staitic local ip address on two or three of the 12 devices on our network I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any help pointing me to a solution/protocol that doesn't break our network (my kids were sharpening blades when I tried and failed in an earlier attempt that broke our network) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

David...

0 Likes
Re: Setting up a static LOCAL ip address
prisaz
Legend

@dpf wrote:

Situation:  I have a linux laptop and a linux workstation.  I keep the two systems synced using a linux ssh tool that automatically syncs directories on the two computers. 

Problem:  Periodically my Actiontec MI424-WR router will assign a new local ip address (192.168.1.22 for example) using DHCP.  My ssh sync is local ip address driven so the assignment of a new local ip address goes un-noticed until my sync scripts don't work because of the new local ip address.

Presumed Solution:  I'd like to assign an local IP address to a few of the computers in our home network.  Seemingly easy.  But given the I only need staitic local ip address on two or three of the 12 devices on our network I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any help pointing me to a solution/protocol that doesn't break our network (my kids were sharpening blades when I tried and failed in an earlier attempt that broke our network) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

David...

There are two ways you can set up a static IP on a computer.

1. Reset the DHCP distribution range on your router so there is an IP range that will not be given out dynamicly. Set the IP addresses manually on the computers. IP, Subnet, Default Gateway, and DNS addresses.

2. Let your router's DHCP always assign the same IP to the device based on the devices MAC address.

Here is a link to a post I made a long while back. It explains. It will also allow your devices to show up in the Actiontec list. I have heard and seen where the Actiontec would only display addresses it gave out. But right now mine displays all devices, even though they are given out by my IP COP Linux box. The post below is for an unrelated port forwarding issue but explains how to do Static IP through DHCP in the router's advanced menu.

Setting a static address.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Connected-device-does-not-show-up-in-Actiontec-My-Network...

"Go to the advanced menu and select IP address distribution and then connection list. There you can set up a static IP for the mac address of the PC, so it will always be issued the same address. Then your computer will show up in My Network and you can forward to it by name. I believe if you set up your PC to use a dynamic address and then go where I stated, you will be able to edit the entry and select a box that says make static. Or you can add a static entry there.

Message Edited by prisaz on 11-02-2008 02:42 PM"
Re: Setting up a static LOCAL ip address
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, as for Linux I am a major dummie.  I got a dunce cap in K.   But here is my experience for what it's worth:

I have had devices (printers, VoIP devices, a down-stream router) that I thought best to give them IP Static addresses.  I even tried it with a computer connected to the same router, just so if I tried to do the FTP thing peoples would not get error thingies.

Bottom line:  If you assign static IPs to certain devices and the devices do not ever go off line, then the router won't miss them and give their IPs to someone else.  Assuming your devices do not ever go off line long enough for your router to think they have gone away for good, and assuming your router does not have to reboot cold for some reason, and assuming your power never goes off so your router can forget what it remembered about the static IPs, then you should be fine.  Smiley Wink