Setting up secondary router with MoCa
TuSaliHai

Hey all!

So recently, I purchased the following:
2 Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500C)
TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless Router

I bought these two items in hopes of being able to setup two access points in my home and more importantly, a directly connection in one of my rooms and another one downstairs.

I've been looking through guides and guides over the past two days but absolutely cannot get this setup to work consistently.

The way i have it currently set up is
Coax 1 > Splitter > One coax into adapter/One coax into Verizon router(MI424WR) > One Coax from Adapter to Verizon cable set top box > Ethernet from Adapter to Verizon Router
Coax 2 > Adapter > Ethernet from Adapter to TP-Link Router > PC

I cannot seem to get a stable connection going because some devices have trouble staying connected to the WiFi and I am also facing latency issues with the TP-Link Router. I understand that there should be a small delay when using this setup but the second coax connection have HUGE latency issues.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can point in the right direction

0 Likes
Re: Setting up secondary router with MoCa
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It's a little hard for me to be clear on your current configuration, but best as I can understand.....

I don't think you don't need two ECB2500C adapters for your configuration. 

Try taking out the adapter in your Coax 1 description, connect to yoiur Actiontec router without the ECB2500C,  and see if everything works for you that way.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

eljefe is correct.  The Actiontec should never be connected to an ECB2500C .  It has it's own MoCA bridge built in.  Simply connect it to coax and it creates the MoCA LAN.  Plugging it into coax and Ethernet to an ECB2500C will create a nasty loop that will mess all sorts of things up.

MoCA LAN devices such as the ECB2500C and the set-top-boxes  connect to the Actiontec, not the other way around.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
TuSaliHai

Funny thing, I actually had everything connected (even the Antiontec) but I started facing a lot of issues. As soon as I disconnected everything from the Antiontec, everything was good to go!
I set the SSID for the Actiontec and the TP-Link as the same on channels 11 and 1, respectively. Is there any way for me to only check the connection of the TP-Link
Also, should I go ahead and return the other ECB2500C?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Your question about checking each connection separately is an example of why I use separate SSIDs...so I can easily know which WAP/router I'm connected to, and manually select a different one if I want to.

Without different SSIDs, you can use a utility like inSSIDer on a Windows laptop to see the signal strength of all wifi signals present at your location.

http://www.inssider.com/

And yes, given the description of your setup and your results, it sounds like you could go ahead and return the second MoCA adapter.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes