Setting up wireless on the computer used to set up hardwire connection
ntardi25

Hi There,

I set up my wirless account through the ethernet, got a good connection, and removed the hardwiring from the laptop to use wireless.  This worked fine for a couple days.

Now I can't establish a wireless connection.

How do I set up a wireless connection with the same computer I used to set up the router?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Setting up wireless on the computer used to set up hardwire connection
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

If this is a laptop, make sure that the wireless switch on the laptop is turned on

Its embarrassing to say but I had that problem with my first laptop. I got it working, set it in my lap and it stopped working. For 3 days I tried every software change to try and make it work again and failed. Then one day my nephew came in and said "uncle Mark, the wireless switch on the front of the computer is turned off".  Smiley Mad  know it all kid!!! (8 years old)   And I'm supposed to be a computer expert Smiley Wink

0 Likes
ntardi25

I know I am searching for a wireless network.  The WiFi light is on.  Wish it was that simple.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Do you have a wireless ICON in your system tray?  Maybe the picture of radio or antenna?  Maybe you lost the profile of your wireless router.  See if you can view the available wireless networks and then connect to it.

0 Likes
jackwong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have this problem for the Verizon FIOS router as well, it is just not stable...

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If you are able to connect to the wireless network but the connection drops, it could be interferece in your home. 

I would try changing the channel of the wireless network.  I run I-Touch's, laptops, WII's and never have wireless issues.

I would also look at wireless networks available and see if you can view many of your neighbor's wireless networks. 

If this issue is a problem with a single PC I also suggest you upgrade the wireless LAN drivers.

Jim

ntardi25

Yeah it seems to be my computer only as my wife's works fine.  How do I update the wireless LAN drivers?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

what version of Windows do you have?

0 Likes
ntardi25

Windows XP

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

There two ways:

Open Control Panel and choose network connections.  Right click on  the Wireless Connection and select properties.

On the top it will display the Wireless Card being used.  For example Intel Wireless WiFiLink.  Select Configure.  Then choose Driver.  Then choose Update driver.

The other option is to write down the brand and model number of the wireless card.  From the last step above you can view the Model number installed on your PC.  Mine is Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG.  Its also good to note the driver date and version.

Now you should go to the manufacturer of your PC (dell, HP, etc) and locate your model laptop and then find the drivers for your particular model of wireless card.  From here it should show if an updated driver is available.  Compare the driver installed vs. the driver available to install.

Let me know if you need additional help or how you make out.

0 Likes