Setup a Linksys Router (WRT54 Series) to work with the Verizon Actiontec MI424-WR
CGFPa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just received Fios at home and used existing network equipment to work with Actiontec router. The setup was pretty easy, and if you have Linksys equipment, I can give you some pointers on how to setup with a minimum of fuss. Give me a shout and I'll send you the information based on your needs as best I can. P.S. Either way, the wireless will work with the Linksys either as a separate carrier (SSID) or as an addition to the one you have setup on Linksys to boost your range.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: Setup a Linksys Router (WRT54 Series) to work with the Verizon Actiontec MI424-WR
livngston
Enthusiast - Level 1
Can you tell me how to configure the Linksys router WRT54 series to act as a repeater to extend the range of the Actiontec?  I was about to try buying a hi gain antenna but heard that repeaters are the better option. 
0 Likes
Re: Setup a Linksys Router (WRT54 Series) to work with the Verizon Actiontec MI424-WR
regular_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 3
regular_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 3
CGFPa
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry so long to reply. If you just want to add range to the Actiontec via the Linksys, just set the SSID and password to the same exact thing on each wireless router (make sure they are on separate channels (1,6,11) and same security type (WEP,WPA2 recommended) and reboot the Actiontec then the Linksys. This way you can use both routers wireless, and the LAN ports as well.
0 Likes
CGFPa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for covering for me! I was away at the doctor yesterday and the DEMORAL is still wearing off!

Carl CGFPa (Running DD-WRT on WRT54GSV4 WAN as Switch UDOP!)

0 Likes
livngston
Enthusiast - Level 1
For those incompetents like me, how hfffard is it to set up a linksys to be a repeater? Do I merely install the DD-WRT firmware on the linksys router and set the same SSID and WEP key as on the Actiontec?  Do I have to configure any other settings in either the Actiontec or linksys routers?
0 Likes
regular_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 3
livngston,

You can probably answer the question yourself:

Start with the following link which was posted earlier in the thread:

Wireless Repeater

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

-rg

DustinM

Hello all I have a Linksys WRT54G v.6 that I have installed dd-wrt on and have successfully connected to the internet. I am however experiencing issues with the NAT on my Xbox 360 and PS3. I have the primary router in my office upstairs and I have the secondary Linksys Bridge downstairs in the living room to connect the game systems and Blueray player to the internet. Does anyone have ay insight on how to get past this issue? 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
CGFPa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Dustin,

CGFPa Here. Haven't been on awhile, so Happy Holidays and here is what I know so far. My setup at home (similar to yours) was experiencing problems from that same issue, but it did not appear until several users began using a high number of UDP (Game Ports) openings in the firewall (AIM, Bitorrent, etc.) and that filled up the NAT tables very quickly on the Verizon Actiontec MI4124WR (Rev D) router. The table only holds 1K of data, so when it reaches its capacity, you can kiss your connection goodbye! My advice would be to (and I know you'll hate this) is to (1)Shut down everything and reboot in order (Verizon, Linksys, Hubs, then computers, gaming systems) (2) Use the system (load it) until the problem occurs again (acts like a lost connection, but Verizon sees no defects) (3) Call Verizon Tech Support when it fails (all lights normal, no apparent reason why you could see it fails) and ask them if they can run a test on the Verizon router. (4) If they cannot successfully test your router at this point, then look to see if you have a Rev D MI4124WR. If so, request they send you out a Rev E MI4124WR. Tech Support will be able to see the router, and can actually still run remote access through their Citrix servers, but they will not see any issues. The key is can they run their full router test successfully! That is about it, except to make sure that you have your Linksys setup as a switch (If you can get online) at DD-WRT Wiki. There is a setting to allow the Linksys to "sit" behind the Verizon Router as a dumb switch, and assign the WAN port on the Linksys as a switch. That way, you can plug the Port 1 (Lan) from the Verizon Router into the WAN (Input) Port of the Linksys, and that will allow the Verizon Router to be THE DHCP/DNS Server. You only need one per network. I have had the MI4124WR Rev E. Router online for about 8 days, and so far, so good. The Rev D lasted about 3 months (maybe based on NAT tables filled up and not dumping data?)

Let Me Hear how it goes for you!

Carl

0 Likes