Sharing printer between main and guest networks?
Jeffp25

I have just installed a "Quantum Gateway" router. One reason for the upgrade was to be able to have my daughter, and her friends, on a different network so that there is no risk of them accessing our networked drives. However, she needs to be able to use the same printer as my wife and I, which is connected via an Ethernet connection. With her connected to the guest account she can't see the printer. Is there a way to put an exception in the firwall between the main and guest accounts so that we can share the printer?

0 Likes
Re: Sharing printer between main and guest networks?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think it is a firewall issue.

More of an issue of different networks.

One network doesn't know how to get to the other.

Jeffp25

So, does that mean that there isn't any way to do this? I was hoping that because both networks share a common device (the router) that there is someway to connect a device to both and have the router manage the connection.

0 Likes
schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, there appears to be ways to do this.

Sounds like you have a home network, and normally printers attached to a network is available only to units in that network. Units outside the network would have to access it though "port forwarding. See discussion:

http://superuser.com/questions/332588/remote-access-for-network-printer

Alternatively, you can use Google cloud:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1069693?hl=en

Some HP printers have a feature called e-print, which you have to sign up for. Basically, documents sent to a certain email address would eventually print off the printer. I have no PC's using this feature, but my wife has a Nabi tablet that prints to it.

Finally, my daughter for the last few years would copy documents she needs printed to a flash drive, which is then plugged into the USB port of the printer. This is the simplest way, as you don't need to be a network engineer to figure out the intracacies of port forwarding. BTW, port forwarding opens up your network, but also opens it up to vulnerabilities.

Normally printers has wireless connections, ethernet ports, USB ports, though you normally can't use wireless and ethernet together. Some do, and if it does, that's anther way of connecting outside the network.