Shouldn't ONT battery replacement on Version?
jyzhang

The battery on my ONT died a couple of days ago.  I am grateful that Agent Srihitha was kind enough to send me a replacement battery for free, which would otherwise cost me $48.98. 

But my argument is,

Shouldn't the ONT battery replacement is on Verison in the first place?

My point of view is any equipment that is needed for Verizon to provide their service that I need is already paid for through the monthly service charge.   It is like we wouldn't be paying for Fios's central hub etc. 

If Version could provide internet through a ethernet socket, anything that leads to the socket should be already paid for in my monthly service fee.  Anything on this end of the ethernet socket is on me.

Am I being unreasonable, or do I have a case here?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Shouldn't ONT battery replacement on Version?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The battery, if one is partof your installation (newer installations without phone service will often just use a basic power supply), is considered customer maintained equipment.

The battery only holds up the power to the phone services in the event of a power outage and if you don't have that, it is basically useless.  Even if you have phone service and don't mind it going down during a power outage, you don't need the battery -- you can even disconnect it -- although getting the "beep" to stop can be next to impossible.

For future reference, the battery itself is a standard one -- not one you'll find at the grocery store, but any of those "battery specialty" stores will likely have it or can get it.  When mine went out, I took it to one of those places and they guy gave me an equivalent Duracell version of the battery and it cost about $14.

View solution in original post

Re: Shouldn't ONT battery replacement be on VerIzon?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

And shouldn't my remote batteries be replaced too Smiley Happy .  And of course my Flashlight battery failed,  shouldn't that be free.  And how about my car battery.

ALL SUCH THINGS are considered consumables and your responsibility.

Verizon is no longer even installing batteries on new installations.  The ONT battery backup is totally not necessary for everyday operation.

Re: Shouldn't ONT battery replacement on Version?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The battery, if one is partof your installation (newer installations without phone service will often just use a basic power supply), is considered customer maintained equipment.

The battery only holds up the power to the phone services in the event of a power outage and if you don't have that, it is basically useless.  Even if you have phone service and don't mind it going down during a power outage, you don't need the battery -- you can even disconnect it -- although getting the "beep" to stop can be next to impossible.

For future reference, the battery itself is a standard one -- not one you'll find at the grocery store, but any of those "battery specialty" stores will likely have it or can get it.  When mine went out, I took it to one of those places and they guy gave me an equivalent Duracell version of the battery and it cost about $14.