Sigh slow download speeds iPad
liyhan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone having problems with slower download speeds on iPads and if so  any suggestions to fix? Also some videos on my laptop, ex: like twitter mobile uploads I'm trying to view, are slow. Come to think of it, some youtube things slow to download on laptop, too, so not the sites' faults..  Is it Verizon's?  Why is the download speed erratic to non-exisitent on certain videos with Fios?

Re: Sigh slow download speeds iPad
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Are you using FiOS or are you using DSL? If you're using DSL, please post up a speed test from a site such as http://www.speedtest.net/ (choose a nearby server) and also post up your modem Transceiver Statistics. If you need help getting the statistics, tell us which modem you have.
liyhan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry.  I'm using FiOS. Any explanation for slow speeds would be appreciated.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
The first thing that needs to be checked first is the FiOS connection. Go to http://measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools#tool1 and perform a speed test using a computer connected via Ethernet and see if the results match what you should be getting on your connection. Additionally on the iPad, visit testmy.net and perform their download speed test. If you have any additional PCs in the home that can use Wireless, perform a speed test over Wireless using the Measurement Lab address.
liyhan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the instructions!  I got these results:

on my laptop:

In the afternoon:

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 13.03Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 12.37Mb/s

The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a  45 Mbps T3/DS3 subnet

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Then in the evening:

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 14.62Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 13.90Mb/s
The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a  45 Mbps T3/DS3 subnet
Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

on my iPad:

did in the evening only:

not sure what you need from this... says,

12373 Kbps and my speed is highter than the verizon.net average or 9.6 Mpbs  (Is that including DSL speeds, though?)

DL Speed Index is 3.9 mbps

So don't know if that helps. If not, let me know and I'll run the tests again.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Most spotty wireless issues (slow speed, intermittent, wireless drops) can be fixed if you change the wireless signal. you can do that in the router. open a browser, and go to »192.168.1.1

user name is admin. and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security. then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply, test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6, test it out. and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File. It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

give that a whirl, and see if it helps. 

Kaflookey
I just got FIOS and I have the same problem. Comcast was lightning fast on my iPad, but FIOS loads slowly, loses contact and makes me sign in several times a day, and is so slow I actually cannot watch any Youtube video without a stall. I don't use a desktop so running the tests is not an option, but I will try your suggestion above. I am still in my 30 day trial period, luckily.
0 Likes
liyhan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I will try it, however it will take me a while because it sounds like at least a little bit of tinkering, research, password finding, stress (did I do this right?)  is involved and I'm pretty swamped right now:  I do already have a job ; D  However, I will supply kudos!  And I will make a note to come back here and post if the solution works.  While I'm thrilled I don't have to lug my modem (or cable box) down to Verizon, like I would Cox Cable when I had a problem, (or wait thru a 6 hour window for a technician to show)  I am dismayed that the solution is not more automatic and user friendly; i.e. it is going to take a lot more than a six-hour window before this is all said and done....

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
It's also worth a shot, besides changing your Wireless settings (and maybe setting security to WPA2-AES which is more robust, and more suitable for higher speeds), it might also be worth it to set up different DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3.