Signal strength poor
pg6
My computer is a floor above and about 50 feet diagonally from the primary computer linked to fios internet thru a wireless connection. The primary computer has great signal strength but mine is always poor.  I heard that other wireless products might interfer with my antenna's signal. Is there a cure for this (besides hard wireing)? Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: Signal strength poor
Justin46
Legend

I suggest you might try several things:

1) Move the router around a little. The signal strengh at your wireless PC is affected by the path the signal has to take, how many walls, mirrors, etc, it has to go through, so moving the router a little bit might help. Try moving it both horizontally and vertically.

2) Try moving the antenna. I have mine vertical, but you can rotate it to horizontal or anywhere in between. With your PC above the router, horizontal might just work better

3) Try using a different channel, especially if there are other networks in your neighborhood. From looking at my Actiontec router, it appears that the default channel setting is Automatic, but you can change it to any channel you want, 1 to 11 (Wireless Settings ==> Basic Security Settings ==> 3.Channel). It might take some experimentation, but what you want is a channel that is not in use by other networks nearby. Some wireless cards/notebooks offer a function that allows you to see what other networks are available, and what channel each is using (including your network). If yours has that capability it might help you figure out another channel to use.

Beyond the above, another thing you could try is to buy a higher gain antenna for the router or the wireless client, but that costs money. Or invest in a wireless access point, which can be placed nearer to the computer with signal strengh problems - money again.

I suggest you try the free things first. And maybe someone else will come along with additional suggestions.

Unfortunately, wirelss can be somewhat hit or miss. I presume you are using the Actiontec router that Verizon gave you; some people report that the wireless capability of that router is terrible. I have the Actiontec, and for me the wireless signal is great, much better than the signal from the router I replaced. But your mileage may vary.....

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
Some of the older cordless phones can wreak havoc on your wireless system. The newer ones like the DECT6 systems are fine. If you have an older cordless phone, unplug it and see if it helps. Also, wireless home automation systems like the X10 can also be a problem. Other than that, I cannot add to what Justin says. It can be hit and miss. I have been there!!!
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
I forgot to add, that a directional antenna can be connected to the Actiontec antenna port as a substitute for the Actiontec antenna.  You can buy one, try it and if it doesn't help, return it. 
0 Likes