Significance of IP change
planetm115

Hello,

I just noticed the forward facing IP on my router begins with 108.XX.XX.XXX

Usually it begins 173.XX.XX.XXX

Any special signifiance to 108? 

I've never seen my IP using those numbers before. 

Just curious, thanks

0 Likes
Re: Significance of IP change
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it's changed, it could mean a few things. Either Verizon is moving around IP address blocks and had to re-IP your edge router, or you were perhaps moved to a newer or different edge router that has a different IP. I know with FiOS folks have been seeing brand new blocks of IPs showing up so it may just be a part of what Verizon's doing for network management.

0 Likes
planetm115

@smith6612

What other IP blocks have you been seeing?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I've seen 71.x.x.x

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wouldn't know specifically as I'm on DSL. But to really point out the different in IP ranges. If it is a newer range or one that has not been used in forever, it's possible the most you'll see are poor routes to some providers. These are often solved quickly. The other real issue would be BOGAN filter issues, where hosts/providers refuse to handle traffic from certain IP ranges due to the fact that they believe the ranges are inactive still. Then of course what has been seen in some ranges (not any that Verizon has, though) where a recent change in IP address policy by IANA, the organization behind the IP address system and management, caused a range that some routers on the Internet would not handle becuase of how the IP address range was previously being allocated (For Intranet usage rather than Internet usage so to speak).

Right now though, if you're not seeing a single problem, then you've just got another day of the Internet with a new IP address. 🙂

0 Likes
planetm115

"The other real issue would be BOGAN filter issues, where hosts/providers refuse to handle traffic from certain IP ranges due to the fact that they believe the ranges are inactive still."

Never heard of that before.  What's it all about?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@planetm115 wrote:

"The other real issue would be BOGAN filter issues, where hosts/providers refuse to handle traffic from certain IP ranges due to the fact that they believe the ranges are inactive still."

Never heard of that before.  What's it all about?

More info is at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering

0 Likes
planetm115

So this has nothing to do with being flagged or anything, right?

It's simply due to running out of 173.XX.XX.XXX addresses, right?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@planetm115 wrote:

So this has nothing to do with being flagged or anything, right?

It's simply due to running out of 173.XX.XX.XXX addresses, right?

No, in my opinion it is just nothing more than you getting connected to a different range. Verizon has lots of blocks of IP addresses, if you shut down your router for a few hours you will almost certainly get a different IP address, and frequently on a different block, has happened to me many times over 7 years. Nothing to worry about.

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon has it's own backbone, and by default has like a gazillion ip addreses.   It's of no significance that you get a new one.   It's how DHCP works, and all their residential class FiOS and DSL and legacy dial up customers have DHCP addresses.

0 Likes