Significant drop in speed!!
Aaron129

Today my phone couldnt stay connected. so I ran the speed test using my wifi pc and found out that my fios speed had dropped from 225-295mbp to 10mb-70mb.

tested with wired/wireless different notebooks all same results. 

I contacted tech support, did all the power cycle and the router reset.

tech told me they ran the test and everything seems normal from their end.

I Wonder whats going on? all my devices are slow??? and tech thinks the problem is my end like too many devices are connected. I told them it always has been like that

the desktop did not moved, i did not add any new devices to the network.  It just died somehow. what should i do next anybody know? 

0 Likes
Re: Significant drop in speed!!
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plug an Ethernet cable directly to your ONT and test the speed from there. If it is still slow, please report us back here.

jonjones1
Legend

Do you have tv and home phone on your service? Are they working?

if you are internet only it maybe a router that is bad. No matter what they say on Verizon’s end it is possible this is your issue.

if you use your own router you can save tons of money by not paying rental fees. However tech service will only support up to your ont and no further.

now say the rep was correct and all is fine from the router, that would mean a bad router since each device cannot go bad at one time.

additionally turn of self organizing network (SON) if it is on since that may cause issues. The other posters suggestion can also show you if the router is the problem. I don’t use Verizon anything so you may need to test with a better router.

oh you are on Ethernet and not MOCA (coaxial? 

0 Likes
Aaron129

connect directly into that fios box speed is 500mbpps.   seems very fast.

so router is the problem?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What's your subscription speed? 500Mbps? 1Gbps? If it is 500Mbps, then yes, any device behind the ONT may be at issue.

jonjones1
Legend

As I stated to you. Router is the issue. Buy another better router save some money.

or have Verizon send you a replacement.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could also be a bad Ethernet run. If you used a small patch cable between the ONT and your test PC, but didn't test the run between the ONT and the cable plugged into the router, check that as well. If you're still getting 500Mbps, then the router is suspect. Factory Reset it, and if it's still slow while wired into the router, replace it. If the cable running between the ONT and the router is bad, that can also be replaced, and you can either buy / make new cable using supplies available at a hardware store and some Internet resources, have Verizon or a handyman fix it (there may be a fee for this), or you can buy and run a new pre-made run cable if you know the right length that you need.

Aaron129

Thank you guys for trying to help me. I have 980mb subscription by the way.  I did the run with ont ethernet cable connected to the test device and the speed were around 450mb to 550 and i think thats how fast my test device can push.  Anyway. Good news guys.  I left everything untouched and The next morning the wifi speed was returned to normal. It was down and slow for a day.  So Router is still working then.  This is Very Strange. Whats going on here? Im clueless

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I won’t stop investigating causes. For a network to be considered stable (not only usable and serviceable), it should guarantee performance and connectivity 99.9% of the time.